What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tis the season

I was wondering... Do you think plants at lowes right now (december) would be good to pick up for a terrarium? The plants are... purple pitcher, drosera aldae, and vft. How do I know if they're in a dormant phase? Would it be possible to pick em up and grow em from now untill next years dormancy?

Thanks in advance.

If I found some at Lowes around this time, I would pick some up. Most likey they are not dormant, since they are probably fresh out of Tissue Culture. So, you can skip dormancy and keep them on a sunny windowsil until spring. Then put them through dormancy next winter.

Overall, I'd say go for it. The plants that I have purcheased from Lowes/WalMart/Home Deopt have been some of the hardiest in my small collection.

You could buy from this store! Totally worth it!

D. adelae doesn't go dormant. It'll die for no reason and return like a phoenix from the ashes, but no dormancy :)

If you're getting fromLowes right now... they are likely to be fresh out of tissue culture. I see no problem keeping them in a terrarium until spring and then put the VFT & Sarracenia outside for the next 6 months (depending upon where you live).

Back