What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What bird is this?

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
I noticed this bird sitting on one of our trees this morning and saw that he had a tag on his leg. Anybody know what this is?
P1070682.JPG

Here is a link to a large picture.
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/d/21761-2/P1070682.JPG

obviously a hawk of some kind.
nevermind the peregrine, marking arent right
it does look like a coopers though or a sharp shinned.

I vote for it being a Cooper's Hawk.

He's a beauty! I love hawks. They are so fierce and regal. I'm not sure of the ID. I'm always trying to ID the ones I've photographed here but its hard to get a good pic. There are a number of sites where you can ID birds.

Looks like a falcon, but I'm no bird man... Where's Finch!?

could... be.. immature Cooper's Hawk or sharp-shinned but I will pull my books out later when i get home to see if i can pin the id down. If its a immature, and I think it may possibly be, id will be tougher.

i'd say an immature sharp-shin...

Isn't the sharp-shin the smaller of those two species? I'm guessing at its size, looking at the branches and leaves, but it seems too big for that. Unless I have the species reversed.

Isn't the sharp-shin the smaller of those two species? I'm guessing at its size, looking at the branches and leaves, but it seems too big for that. Unless I have the species reversed.

Just for reference, the branch the bird was on was about 3 inches thick. I would estimate the bird was slightly larger than a full grown robin.
Thanks,
Tyler

definetly not a falcon
if I had to vote I'd say coopers hawk

I'd say sharp shinned if it was close to a robins size.My neighbor raises racing homer pigeons and once in awhile a hawk nails one off the coop of his and he says they are Coopers because they can carry off a pigeon.

Just for reference, the branch the bird was on was about 3 inches thick. I would estimate the bird was slightly larger than a full grown robin.
Thanks,
Tyler
If your size estimate is close, the bird is a juvenile Sharp-shinned hawk (likely a male). The super-long tail quickly flags it as an accipiter and the 2 accipiters in your area are Sharpies & Coopers. The brown streaking separates adults (which have horizontal orangish barring) from the young birds.

Accipiters are the most commonly seen hawks around feeders in the winter as their normal prey are the small birds which frequent the feeders.

FWIW, falcons tend to be birds of more open spaces so are less frequently seen around feeders or wooded areas. IIRC, Lauderdale posted a pic of a Peregrine a while back that lived near him.

If your size estimate is close, the bird is a juvenile Sharp-shinned hawk (likely a male). The super-long tail quickly flags it as an accipiter and the 2 accipiters in your area are Sharpies & Coopers. The brown streaking separates adults (which have horizontal orangish barring) from the young birds.

Accipiters are the most commonly seen hawks around feeders in the winter as their normal prey are the small birds which frequent the feeders.

FWIW, falcons tend to be birds of more open spaces so are less frequently seen around feeders or wooded areas. IIRC, Lauderdale posted a pic of a Peregrine a while back that lived near him.

I googled juvenile sharp-shinned hawk and he appears to be just that. Our yard is fairly open with lots of houses around, and I have not seen any birds in our bird feeder for awhile, so it would appear to be the Sharp-shinned hawk.
Thanks for all of the help everyone.
Tyler

Back