User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast
Results 201 to 208 of 231

Thread: Ron Paul 2008 Revolution

  1. #201

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Results 1 - 10 of about 556,000 for scientific theories proven wrong. (0.11 seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,170,000 for bible proven wrong. (0.25 seconds)

    But of course now you can't believe what Google says, huh?
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

  2. #202
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I think you're really missing out on the whole theory process...when a theory becomes a law, etc. Based on your knowledge of biology, I have serious doubts about the efficacy and credibility of your institution. Your location says Ohio...where do you go? Mt. Vernon Nazerene? Ohio Christian? Tri-State Bible College? Theories are certainly testable, thats how they become laws, and thats why they exist. Because they started out as a hypothesis that was systematically proven enough times/in enough situations to become a theory. Here's a definition of a theory
    Instead of asking me the same question in different threads, why not try to remember? I got to Cleveland State University, it's not a Christian college and if that is your attempt as an insult you need to try harder. Hypothesis are testable too, what's your point? No one said they aren't testable. Evolution is not a law.

    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Uhh I got all As in my last 5 bio classes. One of them was Organic Evolution. I ended one class with a 105....Evolution and Classification of Plants. You wouldn't happen to be in bio for nonmajors at Ohio Christian University would you?
    You also probably got an A for immaturity 101 as well. To answer your question it was a major requirement and to get a C in that class was considered an achievement.

    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    Can we please enable giving reputation points so I can give ktulu some props?
    Notice how Ktulu, a non-bio major understand that theories cannot be proven? What community college did you graduate from?
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  3. #203

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No theory or hypothesis can be proven true, they can only be proven false
    ktulu did say PROVEN FALSE. So if someone says they can be "proven"..."proven false" falls under the umbrella of such.

    You also probably got an A for immaturity 101 as well
    What community college did you graduate from?
    Awww....I thought I was the immature one. Let's not get envious here.
    And FYI, it was Texas Tech University...doing bio w/ a specialization and pre-med in 3.5 years. Kept a 3.75 for the majority of my college career, then rocked the MCAT. Do we really need to compare credentials here?

    I'm not trying to insult you. I respect you for having the tenacity to continue to hold on so tightly to what you believe...but honestly (and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible), some of the things you believe are just plain stupid...
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

  4. #204
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    ktulu did say PROVEN FALSE. So if someone says they can be "proven"..."proven false" falls under the umbrella of such.



    Awww....I thought I was the immature one. Let's not get envious here.

    I'm not trying to insult you. I respect you for having the tenacity to continue to hold on so tightly to what you believe...but honestly (and I'm saying this in the nicest way possible), some of the things you believe are just plain stupid...
    Sorry you feel that way, however it sounds kind of stupid when a Bio major claims evolution as a universal truth.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  5. #205

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    2,251
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said it was a universal truth, though I did say multiple times that evolution occuring is a fact. That cannot be denied save by the totally ignorant, or the downright stupid.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

  6. #206
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I never said it was a universal truth, though I did say multiple times that evolution occuring is a fact. That cannot be denied save by the totally ignorant, or the downright stupid.
    I never denied that is downright doesn't occur. Sure it occurs, look at viruses like MRSA and other bacteria that are immune to most anti-biotics. However am I product of a one-celled living organism that lived in the ocean billions of years ago that evolved into all the different species that inhabit the Earth today? No and that can never be proven as fact. If you want to accept that through faith as a fact, by all means do so but it can never be a universal truth. Just like I can't universally prove God's existence.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  7. #207
    Kung Fu Fighting! NeciFiX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not republican or democrat, I find both parties stupid and base on the individual. I really, really like Ron Paul. However, I trust Obama more for the country. Hillary is annoying, nearly as bad as Bush.
    - NeciFiX

  8. #208
    Nepenthes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished reading more than 200 posts, and I don't know where to begin in my response. While this thread may have started off with a Ron Paul discussion, we can safely say this is no longer the issue. So many different posts grabbed my attention, that I wished I had chimed in on this discussion from the beginning. Anyway... I have a few points that I want to make:

    1. I fully agree with Capslock, Justlikeapill, and Phissionkorps. Look at their arguments and rebuttals, and it is clear that they just plain make sense.

    2. On gun control: Guns are a double edged sword. They can be used for good and bad. The bottom line is that guns should be allowed to all "Law-abiding citizens". Sure there is one key weakness to this argument, and that is: everyone is a law abiding citizen until they aren't. This does not mean that because a few people decide to use guns for negative purposes, that all people should pay the price. Guns in fact are a good thing. Aside from the insurance against a tyranical government, guns provide safety in many ways. Check out John Lott's "More Guns, Less Crime", if you need more clarification. Sure this is only one man's observation, but he cites many references and a plethora of data. I can go on and on about guns (as you might have guessed), but I think the majority of us here understand the reality of the issue... And of course the greatest argument, however cliche, is that guns don't kill people, people kill people. This, in all its simplicity, holds the greatest truth. I could kill someone with a pencil if I wanted to, and if I really wanted to, I can make a gun from raw materials.

    3. Gay Marriage: To Outsiders: If you truly don't have any qualms with the union of a gay couple, then why does the name bother you so much? If you really think they should have the same rights, then why can't they call themselves married? You said that they should be given equal treatment, but then you say that they should be differentiated by name. To support this you cite the traditional definition of 'marriage' in history. Isn't one of our greatest qualities as humans our ability to adapt? Sure, from a legal, or religious, standpoint marriage may have been interpreted as a union between a man and a woman, but the reality is that gay couples have been around forever. Why should they not be afforded the same comfort of a proper name? It is hard for me to understand how the sharing of a name can move you so deeply as to necessitate your vociferous oppostion (in light of your alleged 'tolerance').

    4. Religion: I barely even want to touch this topic... I've already had a few words with Outsiders about it before but... I have a few basic problems with religions in general, and some of them are as follows: A. The bible was written by man, not God. B. There is zero, and I do mean zero, proof of the existence of God. C. The Old Testament, shared by heavy contenders of religion: Judaism, Islam, and Christianity to name a few, is riddled with what can best be described as fairy tales and mythical creatures and events. D. Religion has caused more death and suffering than all other disputes, ever.

    I do like some aspects of religion though... I do like that many of them instill respect, kindness, and altruism among their followers. I don't like the fact that many also believe you will suffer if you do not ascribe to their beliefs though.

    5. Evolution: Really? I mean really? How is this even disputed? This is a freaking carnivorous plant discussion forum. Is there one type of nepenthes? Is there one human race? Insects change, plants change, animals change, and humans change. It's a very simple FACT. The only real question is whether humans evolved fully on earth. We may have come from another planet for all we know. The universe is incomprehensibly huge, and the possibilities are nearly infinite. Sure God may exist in one form or another, but I can gurantee that no religion known to man encompasses the truth of the matter. It has been proven scientifically that electrons can randomly appear in a vacuum for a millisecond, where no other matter is present. This may even be how all matter was created. But then one must question how these laws of matter, physics, and existence, exist. I gurantee you though, that God (if it exists) did not limit him/herself to Earth and create the Universe as an afterthought so that we may be central to all other existence.

    6. Global Warming: All I know is it's hot as balls lately. I don't know for certain whether it's the Sun, the Earth, or Mankind that is causing the heat but I do know one thing for certain: Man isn't helping. To say that man has not caused any footprint on our global situation, is like saying that we are not responsible for the extinction of a large amount of species of plants and animals. The simple fact of the matter is that man is overpopulating the earth, and we have many different impacts which we can only begin to comprehend. What we can do is limit our impact on earth and let nature run its natural course.

    7. Back to the main topic: Ron Paul: Like any good politician, Ron Paul brings up many good points. He does aim to bring the country back to the ideals of the constitution, but he also has shortcomings. My biggest problem is his intention of abolishing the Department of Education. In return he wants the issue of education to be handled by the states. I did a lot of research on the history of education in the U.S. and I created a thesis during college. While I will not bore you with the specifics, the simple fact of the matter is that government (federal) sponsored education is a necessary facet of American culture. The only change that should be made to the department of education, is an attempt to improve it, rather than abolish it. Many of Paul's other ideals I do agree with, namely the restoration of power to the states, however some things are better left to the federal government.


    I have sooo many more things I want to add to this response, but I am pressed for time. It's nearly 2 AM and I have a list of things to do over the next couple of days before moving. I really wish I got in on this discussion from the beginning .
    - Daniel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •