What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rules of the plant trade

What is always, absolutely, invariably true for all plant suppliers?

I'll start

The more something is advertised as "giant", the smaller the available plants will be.

The red form is always more expensive.

The more something is hyped as being "rare", the more common it will be.

make sure you know if its being shipped bare root(less expensive) or potted(more expensive)

always contact them directly to see if they have more rare specimines availiable.

only do buiseness with well recommended suppliers :)

and ALWAYS note what the shipping price is! if you get one plant. a small one. shipping should NOT be 9$ :)

Alex

I think this was supposed to be a humorous thread ;)

The only way capensis can be sold is by adding "RARE" or "BONZI MAN EATING TREE OF MADAGASCAR" to it in all caps followed by 25 exclamation points.

*note the purposeful misspelling of "bonsai"

The only way capensis can be sold is by adding "RARE" or "BONZI MAN EATING TREE OF MADAGASCAR" to it in all caps followed by 25 exclamation points.

At least on ebay...

xvart.

My number one: *gasp* honesty. without it, well, yeah. No honesty=no buisness from me.

Ya I agree the only way to sell capensis on ebay is in bulk.
Really though $8 for a packet of 10 seeds ?!

If more than 20% of the stock plants have pitchers, the price goes up 50% and "LOTS OF PITCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is written under a picture of a mature plant.

If a plant or seed is being sold on eBay by a certain vendor, it will be "RARE" no matter what it is. :glare:

About that bonsai thing,

I saw a D. petiolaris (or maybe it was paradoxa) sold as a "bonsai" or "palm tree" clone. The plant had a 2-3 inch "trunk" with a mature rosette at the top. The guy was selling TC'd offspring of the plant. Although calling it a special "form" or "cultivar" or whatever was bogus and stupid, the plant was still really cool.

Back