What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the smoker going!

• Thread starter cool85k5
  • Start date
I got up around 7am and got the smoker going.I have 3 whole chickens,pork tender loin,and a turkey breast cooking,Mmmm,good eats!About 4 hours cooking for the chicken and maybe 4-5 for the other.Anybody here smoke meat?

Jerry

No I do not Jerry, but I'll be down to help eat some.

Man all that sure sounds good... When are you guys having dinner? :-D

We smoke a lot of fish up here. Eel and bluefish are my personal favorite.

We're smoking spareribs for dinner tonight *gargle gargle* Merry Christmas!

About 4 hours cooking for the chicken and maybe 4-5 for the other.

Hey Jerry - It will take me a little longer than 4 hours to get there, but I've always played cleanup crew; so, save me some leftovers!

xvart.

my dad does...im less of a cooker and more of an eater! :D

Anybody here smoke meat?

ive tried but its a pain keeping it lit :grin:

a smoker is on my list of things to get...........however it never quite hits the top. in high school we did lots of fishing, the lake close to us has lots of lake trout but we ignored them as theyare quite greasy eating......however one of the time we caught one we hauled it home and threw it in a friends smoker for grins as we hadnt caught anything else.........we discovered lake trout is dang good eats smoked versus the fried we had tried in the past.......spent the rest of the summer trying to catch lakers :grin:

We smoke trout we catch in Lake Tahoe all the time. Brine it overnight first in a sugar/salt/spices solution, and then it's fantastic! Works great with salmon, too!

Merry holidays everyone!

Capslock

Update:The chicken is almost done,later the turkey and pork.Yes this is a slow prosses but worth it if you have the time.I'll post some pictures sometime to show you how it came out.And I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Jerry

tobacco products + meat = that nasty powdered beef jerky they sell in chewing tobacco tins at gas stations

Err my dad is good at bbg,he has a nice neighbor we gave him kona coffe then later he gave use a whole frsh salmon.....
HE also gave my dad some other meat goodies....
I think he will get a brick smoker made soon.....

I smoke chicken breasts and sausages all the time. Bison steak on occasion as well. There's a decent sized smoker/grill at Walmart for about $30 IIRC. Look slike a space shuttle. That's what I use...works great, and is cheap, so it fills my 2 requirements to purchasing something

I have an inexpensive setup that works very well.

It's made from 2 very large terracotta pots (I think 16 inch?). The bottom pot sits right side up and an electric portable cooking coil goes in the bottom with the cord going out the pot's drain hole. I soak some wood chunks in water then wrap them in foil and poke some pinholes in the foil. This way the wood smokes and doesn't catch fire. The foiled chunks sit right on the coils. A round grill rack from my weber smoky Joe BBQ neatly fits just inside the lip of the pot. After I put the food on, for the lid I use the other terracotta pot upside down and cover the drain hole slightly to keep the smoke inside.

By trial and error, I've found that loosely wrapping ribs in foil makes them come out much more tender.

The setup works really well. The scrumptious smell drives my neighbors and dog crazy (she scratches at the back door and spins when the smoker is going).

how does one go about smoking meat?
I have a smoker in the garage but don't have a clue on using it.

Zero, the basic idea is that you have an enclosed space, and you heat wood chips (alder, cherrywood, hickory, etc) to the point of smoking, but not burning. The temperature inside the smoker should be about 175F. Depending on what you're cooking, the meat should be brined before going on (usually overnight), and you can smoke the meat on racks in the smoker for several hours - again depending on what it is and how big. There are home made setups like Wild Bill described (sounds like a great setup Bill!), or storebought ones that can be either electric or charcoal-fueled.

You can look up recipes with Google.

This is what I have: http://www.jtbuckonline.com/browseproducts/Lil'-Chief-Smoker--Top-Loader.html
Capslock

The only thing that belongs in brine is pickles. Anything else = yucky.

so where do I get wood chips?
how do I get the chips smoking?
I know, stupid questions.

I have a fiend who smokes meat and he sure makes good food

Zero,

Walmart? That's where I get my mesquite chips. I get my pecan chips for free just around town from people I know. You get them smoking by putting some charcoal where it goes in the bottom pan kinda thing described above, then lighting it, then just throwing some wood on top of that (that's what I do at least). Like caps said, you don't want the pieces to light on fire, just to be hot enough to smoke.

I brined my Thanksgiving turkey for the first time this year and it was great!

I don't have a smoker to try smoking anything.

Zero,wal mart,lowes and such stores have wood chips.Do a google search for smoking meat and you will find links and forums on the subject.I will get some pictures uploaded and post them here tonight or in the next few days.

Jerry

Back