What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pests on Pepper

I am growing some pepper plants for my dad and I looked today and noticed that the underside of the bottom most leaves were covered in white fuzz. I removed them and have been trying to ID what it is. Can anyone help me ID it. I figured it was something sucking the cells so I sprayed it with Orthene. Here is the damage.
Thanks,
Nick
EDIT: Is it powdery mildew?

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

Looks like a case of mealy bugs. I guess Orthene will work, but I'd use Safer's Soap or another similarly benign product. I sometimes just get up close and personal with them and smush them with my thumb and use a pencil or something to reach the ones in the nooks and crannies.

Mealies are a pest that tends to stay under control outdoors, assuming no pesticides are used, but run amok indoors, where no predators are present. Good luck.

Looks to be either mealy bugs or whitefly. Look up pictures of the actual culprit on the net and compare to your sample.

orthene I think is tocik sp??
those bugs look nasty.
looks like whitefly:(

Orthene will work on that - kill just about every pest I've had on my peppers - aphids, scale, whitefly, etc.

However, Orthene is systemic, so don't eat any fruit from the plant for about 6 weeks after last application. Maybe that's over cautious, but better safe than sorry I always say.

Back