What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Florida trip

DrWurm

Californian in DC
I've been at my dad's house for a couple days now (left my plants under my mom's care :/) and just went to Weedon Island today. Snapped a few shots of the ferocious wildlife. Also a few shots from around the neighborhood.

Some of these images aren't showing....so go here

From the outlook tower:

Tortoise Deadlius:

Armadillus Killia

Hawkula Ferocia

Grandmas House....ia

Cool!

I would click the links but me and the hosting site you use have trouble... neat thumbnails though

Man I love armadillos! They were one of my favorite animals growing up. I would love to see one in the wild up close.

xvart.

Typically armadillos are pretty skittish, but this one seemed used to people walking on the trail. Also, they have terrible eyesight.

It does seem that imageshack is flaking on me...... I just like them over photobucket since they host the full resolution.

Armadillos are pretty common in the "deep south", in the past couple of years they have established sizable populations in the Atlanta area! I wonder how far north they will go?

more pics

Went out to Sawgrass Lake park a couple days ago, saw some more wildlife

Gator! (telephoto)

Softshell turtle

Spined Spider

Golden Orb Weaver

Birds (some taken with binocular telephoto lens....)

I really like that first bird photo. It really captured the beauty of the park.

Interesting photo on the spined spider, didn't know they had forms like that.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Nate

Nice gator picture! Was he just hanging out or was he on the move? Looks like an exciting trip.

xvart.

Nice gator picture! Was he just hanging out or was he on the move? Looks like an exciting trip.

xvart.

Well, I've spent plenty of time at these parks, so I take the experience for granted. The gator was just chillin on the bank, but when we walked back, he had slipped into the water. They're not very active creatures.

Here's one my dad got a few months ago

Those are indeed baby gators.

I used to live in Florida (Merritt Island near Cape Canaveral). Although I found the wildlife interesting, an armadillo had decided to live under my house, wild boars dug up my back yard every night, an alligator ate my friends dog, and this one peacock blocked my schoolbus from leaving several times a week. I did like the manatees though.

PS Technically they weren't "wild boars", but "domesticated livestock" as they were released by the Spaniards 200 years ago.

We did see a peacock as we were driving away, didn't get a picture though.

Back