What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

insects picture?

upper

Capensis Killer
no matter how hard i try, i cant get a good picture of the insect on my plant. i even got a dead one down on the floor and it comes out blurry... there's these insect that's all over the potting mix and i want to get rid of em.. here's the picture that i took so far >_>
dsc00165oy0.jpg

dsc00166si0.jpg

pretty harmless little things. I've only heard of them harming little seedlings, but I've never seen them do any harm on my drosera seedlings or pygmy drosera. Only run to the poison cabinet if you see them doing significant damage to your plants. Otherwise, they're good food.

they're not for CP, they're on my potting mix, and they have killed my amaryllis red lion, and now there's none left in the amaryllis, but now there's a ton of em on my paperwhite narcissus when i water them, and my paperwhite's wilting.

in that case....
KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!

If you want to take better pictures of small things, put a magnifying glass in front of your camera lens.

Fungus gnats will feed on roots and are far from harmless. The department of agriculture of most states consider them serious pests:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html

Only fungus gnats commonly damage plants. Larvae of these flies feed on roots, thus stunting plant growth. Root damage can occur in interior plantscapes and in houseplants if high populations infest moist, organic-rich soil. Fungus gnat larval damage can be especially serious in greenhouses, nurseries, and sod farms. In addition to larvae chewing on roots, both larvae and adults can spread plant pathogens and may promote disease in commercial crops.

Is it possible you're keeping the soil too damp? I don't know the first thing about amaryllis, but if I'm not mistaken, fungus gnat larvae feed on rotting material... so if you're keeping the soil too wet, the roots may be rotting. The bugs may be an indication of more serious problems.

One of the methods recommended to prevent fungus gnats in house plants is to let the top 1 or 2 inches of the soil dry out between waterings.

A top dressing of horticultural sand of at least 0.25 of an inch can prevent fungus gnat infestations but should be applied immediately after potting.

Psssh. I wouldn't worry about it. Good prey, I say! You're always going to have SOMETHING living in your media.

what would you do if you saw one of these crawling all over ur plants?
62947Scolopendra_polymorpha-Tiger_Centipede-med.jpg

Oh, yummy! Goes down well with a red bull... :-))

First i would think "deadly/poison", then i would think "no, saw on Discovery channel-just painful bite" , then i would think "plant food?" then i would think "screw it-knife the *******!".

it's bites are extremely painful, enough to make a grown man cry<.<
I'd take these things over centipedes any day of the week
milipede_76pic.jpg

oh i love predators!!! just the way you see simple instincts take over... different ways of attacks...

First i would think "deadly/poison", then i would think "no, saw on Discovery channel-just painful bite" , then i would think "plant food?" then i would think "screw it-knife the *******!".

depends on what you consider just painful...........a bite from a large pede is nothing to take lightly. think whole arm swelling up. and extream pain......when it comes down to it black widow bites are rarely deadly and in all reality "just painful" however thats 24-48 hours of the most intense pain you can imagine. i think of large pedes the same way i think of copperheads. in all reality i can be 99% sure ill survive the bite without medical treatment, however i am not going to handle the SOB's bare handed for grins. some things just aint worth it.

I would:

1) Make me a terrarium and put this one in there.
2) Would make sure I never get stung by this madagascar giant centipede. :p
3) Think about how I am going to get mice to feed this one. :p

what would you do if you saw one of these crawling all over ur plants?
62947Scolopendra_polymorpha-Tiger_Centipede-med.jpg

Back