What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to help out.

Ok guys we need to help Andy out. He's woking 3 jobs and is barely making enough for the forum. What i mean is that Andy is aying out of pocket for all of us! And Andy, just so you know, i was NOT attacking you and the only reason i made such big deal was that i was unaware that you owned the site. Had i known i would have cared far less. I still intend to uy a plant or 2. \Back to what i was getting at. I think that we should make monthly donations. THIS IS VOLUNTEER ONLY!!! I think it would help Andy alot. Lets hear what you guys have to say!! :D

This topic spawned from topic: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111094 (page 3/4)

Last edited by a moderator:
OR buy plants from his store..... :D
Then you get a plant and donation....

I think it is worth a couple bucks a month for sure. Maybe put up a paypal donate that goes straight to the hosting.

OR buy plants from his store..... :D
Then you get a plant and donation....

What about people who dont want the plant? Even then if we do buy the plant it may not be enough...i was thinking 10 per active person comes to be....8800 :D surely thats more than afew months payments if all 880 active members donate.

Sounds like a good idea to me whowe.

10 dollars a year is a great deal to keep this place going. I know I have gotten more than 10 advice here.

A "premium membership" was discussed a while back. The "Thank You" membership is what became of that idea. And for the record, I'm not sure what the criteria is to be an active member, but I know that there are not 880 members that post frequently.

See these links:

Part One.

Part Two.

End Result.

xvart.

Last edited:
just goin by the #s at the bottom...check it by me...
as for the member ship i really dont think thats exactly fair...thats why i said donation...people who can give what they are willin when they are willing

Sorry, I posted the links while you were responding. It was still a volunteer thing. Read through the links above and you'll see the variety of options that were considered for a "premium membership" as compared to a normal membership which would have still been available to the general public.

I know it says there are 880 active members, but what makes an active member? Post once in six months? Once a year? I'm not sure, but I've always wondered. I'm just saying I know there haven't been 880 different people posting in the last 3 months, at least. That's not to say that we don't have a large membership by any means. We have a large contingent of active, dedicated, and knowledgeable members, just not 880.

xvart.

Hey guys... first off... I work 3 jobs not to keep my family out of the dumps, but to maintain my life style ;-) and it's not like they're big jobs either (other than my main one)... so it's not like running this forum is taking the food from my kids mouths. lol My wife is the Admin Manager at Lowes (12 hr days 5 days a week) so she brings in good money too...

I've been asked a few times to put up a donation button and I've yet to do it. Mainly because I don't want to be one of those "give me money because I made a decision to do something" people lol It's not like you all said "hey Andrew!! PAH-LEASE buy the forums and run them for us!!!" It was a decision I made and I'm happy to do it.

The frustrating part is when I have to explain why the rules are the way they are... and it's not just be trying to control what you do, or become rich etc.

I have some arrangements to buy some extra plants from a few members and that should be happening in the near future to help expand what I carry in store. I recently added media to the store since a member was looking for some... So things are moving, just slowly. That's how it goes when you're as busy as me :) I don't have all day to work at flytrapshop so that kinda moves as I have time. although orders do go out super quick. :)

As a clarification, the "thank you" membership was going to be a "premium membership" Where you would pay for extra benifits (which you now get for the thank you when you buy $10 or more in product) when you donated some money... Mainly I decided to go with those features for the "thank you" membership that way people ordered the plants (even if they really didn't need them but wanted the membership) then the word could spread of the quality and such... We all know there are some big cp stores out there... and even though they cost more, they are "known" so It's hard for me to get out there so far. I think that is more important to helping me long term fund this forum over donations.

Also, I have been offered a few times discounted or free hosting services... I have used some other hosts before (for other things) and the service / speed just didn't make me happy. that's why I pay so much for the hosting of this forum instead of one of the "discount" server places. I know there have been some intermediate problems with the database being unavailable every now and again, and they're working on my server to remedy the problem. (yes, terraforums.com / flytrapshop.com / cpforums.org are on a dedicated Apache server) so again, these are choices I have made to pay more, and provide a better service to everyone here. I can't think of many things online that anger me worse than a slow forum! When I'm doing research on something... I want do do it quick. hehe click a few links on this forum: http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&SLanguage=en-us and imagine trying to play on this forum at that speed. UGH!!!

wow- that's long... :p
Andrew

Oh and... "active" members is how many members have been logged in the last 6 months. Unique guests are not counted, only logged in members. and another note, the member count doesn't count anyone who has been banned or less than 5 posts. And the memberlist was recently purged of people who had not logged in within so many years AND had a low post count. So the numbers are pretty accurate. While most forums count every single member that has ever registered....

Believe it or not... A lot of people pass through this forum. Here are some stats from my server: On Monday there were 3,145 UNIQUE visits. That means that many people from different ip addresses visited the forum. and there were 45,000 page views on that same day. The average person viewed 15 pages during their visit. :0) So we really are helping ALOT of people out there with this forum full of information!!!

Andrew

HAHAHA... isn't that place ridiculous?? The last computer I built had an ASUS board... and I was there... trying to trouble shoot it... Sadly, the customer service at ASUS was even slower than their forum!! (6 weeks to get a replacement board, that was in worse condition than the one i sent them for example!!) :censor: :headwall:

Back