What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

humidity question.

upper

Capensis Killer
i've heard from a couple of people that vft,cape sundew,and Sarracenia can adapt slowly to lower humidity. but some people say they cant. i just want to make sure.
this is what i was planning.
egg20terrariumsy0.jpg

i was gonna put the vft, cape sundew, and bare root Sarracenia in this for humidity, then take alittle bit off everyday, until its completely off and then it should adapt to lower humidity,(i dont know why but it keeps changing here, yesterday it was 56% humidity, today its 23% and tomorrow is going to be 49%. so i just want to clarify. i'm in southern california, los angeles. i do not want to grow them indoor unless i have to. :nono:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vft and Sarracenia will do fine for you. Nepenthes might be able to handle the lower humidity, but not the temperatures you would be getting.

i'm not getting any Nepenthes. and are you saying vft will do fine for 20% humidity?

flytraps and Sarracenia should be perfectly fine outside as well as the D. capensis.

All of your plants will do fine with low humidity if you acclimate them to it. If they aren't used to it then you must gradually harden them off. All of my inside plants, sundews, bladderworts, Nepenthes etc all are extremely happy in ~10% humidity. Albeit they are beginners plants (the most "difficult" being N.eymae) they still are LIVING proof humidity isn't everything. Outside plants are just subject to the RH at for the given day and deal with it after adapting.

Just take baby steps with them.
-J.P.

okay, its cuz i saw like people putting 90% humidity inside their terrarium i was surprised

my terrarium is 70-80% humidity in the afternoon and 95% at night
constant temps of 70-80ºF

you scared me

Edit: :)

How rude. He's trying to help you, and then you say that, especially without a smiley or anything to make it look like a joke?

what? it did scared me. i thought i was doing everything wrong, until everybody helped me out. it did scare me for a while when i saw his post. i thought i have to put it in 80% humidity then i scrolled up and i said phew, you scared me.

your plants will do fine in low humidity
the only plants you would have to even remotely worry about would be some neps

what? it did scared me. i thought i was doing everything wrong, until everybody helped me out. it did scare me for a while when i saw his post. i thought i have to put it in 80% humidity then i scrolled up and i said phew, you scared me.

yes, Kristoff's post isnt really relevant to your question..
he is choosing to grow his plants in terrarums..but its certainly not necessary, (in fact, many people consider it detrimental) and you certainly dont need humidity that high.

BUT! you asked about "vft, cape sundew, and bare root Sarracenia"
but the photo you posted shows none of those..
it looks like the plant in your photo is a Nepenthes..
could you take another photo with the cover removed?
im pretty sure its a teeny Nepenthes..
thats a whole other story..
Neps DO need higher humidity, and do NOT need a winter dormancy..
and they do much better in terrariums than VFTs or Sarracenia..

many people make the mistake the Nepenthes, VFTs and Sarracenia all like the same conditions, because they are all "carnivorous plants"

not true.

Nepenthes are tropical..VFTs and Sarrs are not..they need VERY different conditions at different times of year.

VFTs and Sarracenia are best grown outdoors, they need a spring, summer, autumn and winter, with different light and temps in each of the 4 seasons, and need a winter dormancy..
for that reason they are best grown outdoors and not in terrariums..

Nepenthes are very different.
they are tropical, they like it warm and humid pretty much every day of they year.
they are from a totally different part of the world.
Neps from SE Asia.
VFTs and Sarrs from SE USA.

So if that is a Nepenthes, and you also have VFTs and Sarrs, they will need different care.

Scot

Humidity is overrated. Terrariums are unnecessary. Any of those tissue cultured sarrs and vfts I've ever gotten I've just popped the top off with no ill-effect.

it looks like the plant in your photo is a Nepenthes..

That's exactly what I was thinking...

xvart.

Ohh! I thought you said something else. Well don't I look silly hehe.

his picture isnt of his actual plant
it said its what he is planning
ive seen those eggs on many websites for a few dollars
and yes, thats a small nep in that one. but its available with a VFT, Drosera, Sarra or Nep.

Humidity is overrated. Terrariums are unnecessary. Any of those tissue cultured sarrs and vfts I've ever gotten I've just popped the top off with no ill-effect.

yep..me too.
I dont bother much with "acclimating slowly"..
the plants always do fine..

just stick them outside in the bright light and they do great.
(VFTs and Sarrs..not Neps)

Scot

his picture isnt of his actual plant
it said its what he is planning
ive seen those eggs on many websites for a few dollars
and yes, thats a small nep in that one. but its available with a VFT, Drosera, Sarra or Nep.

ah! ok..well thats cool then.
no Nepenthes to deal with right now..makes things easier! :D

I wouldnt bother with the egg at all..
not necessary.

Upper,
How "southern" in southern California are you?
what are your winters like?

Scot

im in los angeles, around hollywood. to be exact, hollywood and western is the cross street

ah! ok..well thats cool then.
no Nepenthes to deal with right now..makes things easier! :D

I wouldnt bother with the egg at all..
not necessary.

Upper,
How "southern" in southern California are you?
what are your winters like?

Scot

i wouldnt bother with it either
seeds that come with it are probably about as useless as the dunlap "flytrap fiends" kit

Back