What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird ID?

• Thread starter EdaxFlamma
  • Start date

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Sorry for the bad pictures... I don't know why but my camera is being fussy today.

Can anyone help me?
2158818478_3d4129dc86_o.jpg

The locals call these "Elvis Presley Birds." Why this is I have no idea haha. They always seem to show up around January so they are right on schedule this year. I just don't have any idea what the little buggers are!

2158021071_0461c3f92a.jpg

Their little flock finally splintered so I could catch a few resting on this tree by my shed.

2158020893_426b6a8e2d.jpg

A few other feathered friends that I know the identities of or, at least I did at one point haha.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
-J.P.

Thank you very much! Now I can try and dig up some more info about them!

Pretty little birds they are.

Much obliged,
-J.P.

Hi and Happy New Year,

Nice pics. They are definitely Waxwings and only two species are here in the usa. The top two pics look like Cedar Waxwings, Bohemain Waxings range is usually only north western and usually have some rust coloring under the tail. The dark bird on the right side in the third pic looks like a Junco. I'm not sure about the other two birds in the same pic, look familiar but . . .darn, don't know. I'm from the southwest desert and don't get to see the array of winter birds that you have.

Nycti

Definately cedar waxwings or at least thats what we call them in Michigan, and they are all over the place here in the summer.

Thanks a bunch guys! I know the names of the ones on the bottom pic. I just can't remember right now haha!

Looks like a goldfinch to me; I think they change to a bit darker for winter. Could be wrong though.

Neal

I concur... cedar waxwings in the top two photos, in the feeder American Goldfinchs in winter morph.... and what is probably a dark-eyed junco...

Those waxwings are beautiful. Look like a variation on our cardinals. I love cardinals but they are shy, shy birds. I like how they hang out in pairs though.

Back