What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Book

glider14

Always a newbie
how the heck can the country do this?

so i was in Books-A-Million today and there was a book in the nature section called "Cultivating Cannabis" it was published in California. how the heck does this work??? its like we are saying "yea. weed is illegal. but here is a guide on how to successfully grow it anyways!"

Andrew if this isnt appropriate or whatever then please delete it.

but what does everyone say on this?

Alex

It's crazy, I went to Borders to look for a CP book, I was in the isle and there are 3 big book shelves. The first one was all plants, no cp books, the middle shelf was nothing but how to grow pot. I was stunned, the 3rd shelf was all animals. But I couldn't believe it either. They can't stock The Savage Garden, but they have 248348 different how to grow pot guides.

I've seen two books on how to grow weed at my Books-A-Million. And they do have the Savage Garden. Meh, I believe in free speech and I support legalizing pot.

as do i even though i dont affiliate with it at all.

Willie: i know what you mean! the closest to a CP i ever saw in a book store is a guide on "Simple and Exotic Houseplants" with a Nepenthes inside.

there were a total of 5 different pot growing guides. however i couldnt remember the other names :D
Alex

Since we're free to do most things, someone wrote a book and wanted it published and no one stopped it from happening because a law wasn't being broken. It's not an admission of support from any particular agency.

Same reason why they can print, books on how to grow hallucinogenic mushrooms, though The common illicit technique is really an all around way to get allot of different mushrooms started legal and illegal!

In 1996, the voters of California passed Proposition 215, also known as the Compassionate Use Act. Within California, the Act allows for the recommendation by a physician for the medical use of marijuana by a patient, and the cultivation, transportation and use of marijuana for medical purposes by patients and caregivers. The Compassionate Use Act exempts patients, caregivers and physicians who recommend the use of marijuana for medical purposes from criminal laws, punishment, or the denial of any rights or privileges.

http://www.dhs.ca.gov/mmp/

Cannibis possesion is also legal in Alaska.

There have been "grow books" being printed since the 60's, my hippie uncle still has some from way back when. Haven't you ever heard of High Times magazine (or the 5 or 15 other weed zines out there)? The DEA has subscriptions to High Times - they love it - their letters/photos to the editor state as much! As far as I'm concerned cannabis should be legal in all states and alcohol should be outlawed.

Unfortunately, NaN, the CA law does not apply if the person is arrested and charged in a federal court, Federal laws don't recognize the CA law, AFAIK they don't anyway.I belive the Federal Agents have shut down nearly all the Cannabis co-op clinics.

Well, let's be fair, now. Not all Cannabis is "weed". Maybe someone wants to start a hemp farm?

The more likely explanation is they want it to grow pot :) In which case, they'd need to know how to grow it to produce optimum yields. But wait! What if I wanted to know how to grow it, but didn't want to grow it? A good analogy is.... let's say you wanted to know how a plasma TV works, but you never plan on building one. Cannabis culture is a great example to learn how to grow anything else. The pot growers are REALLY on top of their game when it comes to lighting, hydroponics, etc. We Cp'ers could learn a thing or two or probably 420 things from them. While growing pot is illegal in most places, its not illegal to want to know how to grow it, to buy a book (or write one on it) etc. I don't understand why you're surprised, to be honest. It's not like it was a Making Crystal Meth for Dummies book. What about it can't you believe? I don't think it belonged in the nature section. The horticultural section (if they have one) would have been better.

You can learn ANYTHING about ANYTHING from the internet, anyway.

Well I lost what I wrote so bassically I agree with jlap on that they are making lighting other than T12 avaible to hobbiest.. The do need the top of the line to be not caught and to grow in a small space for a light loving plant just like cps..

you know i think ill buy the mag to see if they have any lightin deals, etc...let you guys know... we have them at a local BN.

i get what your saying Clint. it wasnt really the surprise as much as the "wow. never seen that before" reading for the sole purpose to gain knowledge :D

We Cp'ers could learn a thing or two or probably 420 things from them.
found the sublimonal meassage! ahah!!!

but like its like that Cocaine Energy drink "sending a messgae" still its not like a kid is going to buy a cannabis book. but the concept is still there.

Alex

Of course a kid won't buy a cannabis book. Why would they do that, when they could buy the cannabis itself? The truth is that pot, and drugs in general, are easier to get than booze for the average teenager. Drugs are so prevalent in say.. high school, that it's not even a big deal to teenagers. It's just there; it's a given. That's why those "This school is drug-free" signs make me chuckle inside, because they couldn't be farther from the truth. And it's cheap. A book isn't going to make anyone go buy pot. Drugs sell themselves.

The Cocaine energy drink isn't really the same as a horticultural book. It's clearly aimed at young people. The book is aimed at people just like us, who enjoy growing plants (whether they sell their produce doesn't really matter. 90% or more of the people buying those books are probably home-hobbyists who grow for themselves.) The Cocaine energy drink is capitalizing on the portrayal of cocaine in the media (In other words, if you do coke you'll be like Lindsey Lohan or Kate Moss), people who think consuming a product named after a drug somehow makes them cool, and people ignorant enough to think an energy drink will be anything remotely resembling a cocaine high. And a name as "edgy" as "Cocaine" will automatically attract attention to itself. It got it on the news, didn't it? That's free advertising. Besides, the government made them change their name on the American cans.

In Alaska its legal to posses something like an oz before you can get fined, in Ohio its like 100g+ before you get fined.

Though its illegal to posses any amount on a Government property.

Back