What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houston museum of natural science

My dad and I went to the museum today to see the famed Lucy. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pics in the entire exhibit, which was just a bunch of Ethiopian stuff, and her bones. It was good to see the bones and the full scale model recreation. Apparently...she just looked like an upright mini gorilla with a less conical head. While it was interesting, I wouldn't go back to the same exhibit. We didn't go through the whole museum (not enough time), but did hit up the entomology hall and butterfly exhibit, which have always been my favs.
Also, I don't think they've changed the "normal" part of the museum since I was about 5

Some dinosaur pics that didn't come out bright enough
DSCN0061.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

Malacology exhibit
DSCN0068.jpg

36" conch shell
DSCN0069.jpg

Scallops
DSCN0070.jpg

Cave cockroaches
DSCN0071.jpg

Assassin bug
DSCN0072.jpg

Katydid
DSCN0073.jpg

Australian walking stick. They also had an orchid mantis but it was tiny and in a weird spot, so I couldn't get it
DSCN0074.jpg

Hissing cockroach
DSCN0075.jpg

Beetle time
DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

African giant milipede
DSCN0080.jpg

Mexican red-kneed tarantula
DSCN0081.jpg

Entrance to Cockrell Butterfly Center. The whole thing is kept at 80° and 80% humidity. Paradise!
DSCN0082.jpg

Butterfly action shots
DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

DSCN0092.jpg

Some sort of orchid
DSCN0089.jpg

Starfruit
DSCN0091.jpg

beautiful.

the thing you labled mantis
is an australian walking stick.

Yeah stupid me not looking at the front legs. FWIW, it was in a mantis cage ;)

OMG those beetles are horrific looking. Beetles are my arch-nemesis :).

Nice pics though =). I haven't been to a museum in ages. Thanks for sharing the pics :).

Beetles account for 25% of the known life forms on the planet.
I think 1 out of every 3 living things is a beetle.

I needa squish them more often then!

I wonder how long huge beetles like that live. I know I could look on Wiki, but I feel lazy.

I love natural history museums. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Is Lucy a traveling exhibit? I think it was Lucy that I saw up here in Kansas: either in Wichita or Kansas City. I especially like the assassin bugs.

xvart.

Those huge beetles freak me out. If I ever saw a live one I would shriek like a 12 year old girl and run like all hell was chasing me. I can handle spiders, and even pick up the non/lesser poisonous ones, but for some reason non-harmful beetles freak me out. ooh and cockroaches... :eek:

Lucy is on loan from the national museum of Ethiopia. She's supposed to be here until April I think, then go on to somewhere else that may or may not have already been negotiated.

Some beetles can live for about a decadeish. The ones that have wood or soil eating larvae at least. What they eat is so nutrient poor, it can take them upwards of 7 years of eating their almost nutrientless food source to be able to get anough energy to pupate into an adult. They don't stay in adult form for that long though.

The goliath beetle can weigh up to 1/4th lb :D

are those cave cockroaches eating cereal?

SqUiSh TeH bEeTlE
or just feed em to your neps :3

Very nice. I love Dinosaurs!

I know a member from a different forum that donated the orchid mantis for that museum. He actually visited not too long ago and posted pictures from the entomology hall that are similar to yours.

Oh yeah, I remember that a cave roach made an appearance at the very end of one episode of the X-Files. :)

Wow...beautiful place and photos. I love traveling vicariously. :)

Back