What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else model on the computer ???

• Thread starter jm82792
  • Start date
Well I have been doing maya for like a month on and off for modeling.
I am getting better at it like I am half way done with Autodesks tutorials.
Anyone else modle using whatever software for a hobby or job???
Here are some sorta good examples of what I have done so far :
Faceusingglassshaderfromnurb.jpg

My first face sclupted from a NURB with glass shade and ambient lighting
iceinwineglass.jpg

Okay I did not make the ice shader but I did the glass shader
applegreen.jpg

My first somewhat realistic rendering
The thing I noticed is you get bored/burned out if you JUST do polygons or just rendering,
I did the polygons then skipped to rendering then nurbs and so on.
I sorta use what I learned get bored then learn more sorta. I am sorta happy with this little hobby since it could be a viable job sometime since every new cartoon is made from programs like maya same with special computer effects and so on.
There are many more semidone models that are just no good enough to post here yet....
My next (like 20 hour combined)project well it is a seceret untill it is done..(just started)

I used to play around a bit with Bryce on the school computers. Made some pretty cool stuff.
Glass.jpg

I've found the full sized version(photobucket resized it) actually makes a pretty cool desktop background.

I am not familiar of what program it is ,
did you use some 2d effects or how did you do that ??
If I was to recreate it I'd like take some nurbs or polys then ectrude them and make them all swirly then add glass shader then an ambient light
WOW ! bryce is cool,maya is soo complex it is sorta apain,
they are sorta liek they sell models and things like that.
I am more orientated into maya for the abilities but it will take much longer but I am familiar with maya so I do not want to change.

i'm using autocad.... well... kinda in the process... i want to be an architect, if i can that is.

Auto cad is more architectual than maya,
I maya is cabable but is complex comared to a sinplier autocad.

oh really..... have you tried autocad? i've tried both, i gotta say autocad's more.... challenging, you gotta do math for autocad or else everything fails.

I have not but I read the overview,
maya is not as percise in some ways ...

I was in school to do special effects in movies, but I ended up focusing on the web instead. I always intended to pick up 3D again as a hobby. I miss it.

On hand I only have thumbnails from one 3D Studio project. I'd have to do some digging to find anything else.

1000 points if you can guess who this project is about from these tiny shots:

tmbg1.jpg
tmbg2.jpg

tmbg3.jpg
tmbg4.jpg

Anyone see Pirates of the Carribean? I did the...
J/K I do have Lightwave though, and Bryce 6, and Blender had a custom PC built to run them and I haven't done squat with them! They're confusing as hell to me. I've got reams of books but I'd need a tutor to walk me through the basic stuff.

The only stuff I've actually done with my 3D stuff is pose Daz Studios anatomy models as sculpting reference - for which it's awesome with on/off muscle maps. But all my 3D programming dreams went Pppffftttt when I installed the programs and started playing with them. People warned me, but I do like my wacom tablet and photoshop! :)

Hey JM - Check out a book called Digital Lighting (or something like that) by Jeremy Birn. It's excellent.

I've been doing 3D modeling and animation from wayyyy back, mainly polys....... When I first started we used the Wavefront Advanced Visualizer and you had to type in code to do a composite, like blahh blahh blahh a over b around c..... You wouldn't know for hours and hours if it worked.

Then, SGI bought both Wavefront and Alias and that's where Maya came from. After that Autodesk bought it. We use Maya now, and do compositing in Adobe After Effects.

Here is a link to our Gallery page where you can see samples of my work:

http://www.lifehouseproductions.com/samples.html

Back