What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sweeny Todd

I just saw the movie Sweeny Todd. The black humor made me laugh numerous times and morals of the characters are so bizarre and twisted that you just have to chuckle! Definitely a good movie to watch if u like or don't mind musicals or like black humor.

Hm I was going to see it, but I never had the time..

I really have no interest in seeing Sweeny Todd. The only thing I really know about the movie is what I learned in Jersey Girl.

God that's good!

xvart.

Cloverfield is soooo much better!

You must understand that Sweeny Todd (or The String of Pearls) story was written (anonymously, possibly by more than one writer) and published by the great english plagarist Edward Lloyd in the late 1840s.
Certainly views of detective horror and the macabre have changed since then except for us die hards who like reading that old stuff.

Anyway, I haven't seen the movie, I probably will once it's on DVD just to see how they handle turning the off-kilter book into a movie.

EDIT:
I jsut noticed you said they made it into a musical... UGH! Maybe I'll stick with the book! :)

They cut out a few songs and trimmed out the chorus and jokes in the songs too. Our school did this musical and it's my second favorite. My number on favorite is the Phantom of the Opera.

Helena Bonham Carter's singing sounded really weak though. I'm wondering if Tim did that on purpose.

I want to see Sweeney Todd but I hear its quite gory. But I love the play and love Johnny Depp...so it should be a good one.

Nothing like a little meat pie...

Sadly, this movie is a rare instance of Tim Burton not using Danny Elfman for his musical score. :(

Back