What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combat sports

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
Anyone else in here into combat sports?

I joined a PE class at our school that was for this. Started off as wrestling, and we just finished up grappling/jiu jitsu. Fun fun fun! We play rugby in there too. And unlike a normal PE class I can actually be dead tired/sore afterward. Try taking a test the next period after you've been choked out though! Boxing is up next. Admittantly I'm a bit apprehensive about it since it is totally new/now you can actually punch people but I think it will be a cool experience.

I know theirs a few of you out there.

HELLZ YES!

Im love lacrosse, play aither attackmen/long pole middie if it means anything to you...

It is like a combonation of football, soccer, & hockey if you dont know what it is, AND IT TOTALLY ROCKS! PLAY IT!

If you play defense in lacrosse ya get alot more action;), football is awsome!. Would love to try boxing sometime too.

Boxing sounds like fun! I always wanted to try kick boxing.

Brazilian jiu jitsu all the way.
Used to play rugby (won TX state championship back in HS) but quit after I moved back from Germany. I got too small for the position I was playing lol.

football...my favorite sport. trying out for HS varsity next year.

Alex

Stop being a baby, shed those pads, and play rugby ;)
lol jk...kinda....

we do have rugby as a club sprt at school. but you wont get a nice ring or paly in state championships if you play rugby :)

i always "scrimmage" without pads...with the guys in my neighborhood. thats as close to rugby ive ever been :)

Alex

we do have rugby as a club sprt at school. but you wont get a nice ring or paly in state championships if you play rugby
Really a pity

it was a joke ahha even though rugby has been one of the club sports for like 8 years. there has only been a team only 2 years. so not enough intrest is my thinking.

Alex

This probably isn't a sport, but I go to sword wars, where you build a weapon out of PVC and padding and duct tape, and the have these awesome sword fights with them. That's a combat sport! I also take fencing, and I used to take Shotokan karate.

They have a rugby club (men's and women's) at my university. They tried to get me to join the women's team and I signed up for it but they never sent out the email...oh well.

rugby is awesome! I'll have to say though that I like the shape of the Merkin football much better. So basically street football is the best.

i'm in Cali. Lotta people here haven't heard of lacrosse, and I don't even know how to play it. Guess football is too big over here.

Btw, anyone else here a lefty? This will create interesting problems for me boxing.

Btw, anyone else here a lefty? This will create interesting problems for me boxing.
Should work to your advantage if you learn how to block. Most righthanded people (i.e. most people) have never fought a lefty.

Thats true. Most of the class has zero experience like me so I don't think it will matter much at least in the first few weeks.

Main thing that I see is that since a righty vs a lefty would be lined up like this /\ as opposed to this // certain punches will have to be changed because both of our jabbing gloves will be aligned with each other. Supposedly if you get your foot on the outside from here a cross is something neither person(but particularly the righty if he hasn't fought lefties much) isn't really ready to defend.

yeah, the west is slowly catching on to lacrosse...slowly...

I think Denver College is the westward most college to have LAX as a sport with scholarships.

I'm 41 years old and still play hockey in a league twice a week. I think I'd explode if i didn't have a way to get my aggression out. Tried some lacrosse in college since my roommate was captain of the team - I wish that were around in California when I was growing up!

Capslock

I play/played lacrosse with obregon562 and its really fun. But I got a long-term knee injury (osgood slaughter) and now I'm out of most sports.

im into martial arts... after that everything else seems boring :D love getting thrown around like a rag doll or slammed to the mat...dont mind the chokes...hate the joint locks though... and groin shots...

Buddistadam: Agreed on the joint locks! Ok, at the noob level it is very hard for anyone to submit anyone with them but by far the worst is the Ankle/Achilles lock. I had a few of those put on me...and be feeling stubborn that day I guess I waited a bit too long. Back in the locker room I feel something sorta shoot up by leg with a funny sound. Pretty much couldn't walk for the rest of the day. The next two weeks I was basically limping everywhere, hot-bath, massage and ultrasound did help alot though! Even now(track season's starting up) I've been taking it easy as I can feel it kind of tense up on me. Luckily, it was only a partial tear!

That being said, when I am busy trying to fight off someone's really tight choke I know how a mouse getting constricted by a python kinda feels. LOL!

Back