What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

education in astronomy

losfreddy

Composter
can anyone recommend a college or lead for someone interested in the field of astronomy and the study of space?

astronomy i mean

You should look at the differences between Physics & Astronomy and Earth & Space Science and decide which you prefer. Some schools have both, but many don't.

Herenorthere is completely correct. However, to pimp my alma matter, FIT has a sort of 3-way degree program with astonomy, space science, and astrophysics where getting degrees in more than one is just a few extra courses (FIT doesn't do minors, so you'd get two B.S. degrees).

Of course, you need to have *very* good math skills for those programs, and FIT (while it's not exactly MIT) is fairly selective (and rather expensive).

Mokele

Ugh I took astrophysics 1 and 2. While interesting, triple integrals of page long equations ain't my thing. Biology ftw.

You won't escape math in either program, but Earth & Space Science is less of an exercise in crazy math. Instead you'll be learning a broad range of physical sciences. If the frequency of pulsars, etc., is your thing, sharpen your pencil for writing the equations of physics/astronomy. If you're more interested in planetary atmospheres, etc. aim for E&SS. But you can go either direction from either program, because the real split between the two happens in grad school. By the way, you're heading into a field where even the assistants have an MS, if not a PhD.

astronomy i mean

I edited the title for you. I love astronomy and almost changed my major my junior year to Astronomy. Alas, I was too far along and another drastic major change would only increase my time in undergraduate school (time = money). For me, astronomy is a better hobby anyway. Good luck with your school selection.

xvart.

Back