What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using Firefox?

I siwhted to firefox its great I love it tis way better than IE and you should download fasterfox and then there are other cool add ons if you want.

i like it WAYYY better. when i switched. IE still didnt have tabs. tabs were the ultimate for me :)

Alex

Well I actually like IE better, it's much faster than Firefox and neither program seem to be giving me real anonymity, even with the addition of Ghostsurf "invisibility on the net".
You're invisible to the net cos you're not on the net! You can't get on ANY sites using Firefox or IE with the Ghost Surf securtity settings on anything other than don't allow cookies, which every browser has... I see the Ghostsurf's box has a 60 satisfaction policy noted on it so maybe I can get my $$ back after all.

Well I actually like IE better, it's much faster than Firefox

Really?! Firefox runs much faster for me. Maybe it's my desktop computer...

xvart.

Firefox is excellent, but it's famously bloated. It'll be slow for a lot of people. Firefox 3 will be a big improvement, speed-wise.

I've found Firefox to be the most standards-compliant, with Opera being a very very close second. Firefox 3 and Opera 10 will be bastions of compliance. If a website looks weird in Firefox or Opera, that website was built by someone who had no clue what he was doing.

Safari has been a solid contender since version 2, but still has a couple small hurdles ahead (mostly javascript stuff).

IE isn't worth talking about until IE 8 (and even then, Microsoft could very well screw it up). It's the bane of every web developer's existence.

Opera does have the longest history of browser superiority (it's been around for a long time), but that's likely to change soon. Mozilla hired the people at Humanized (a usability consulting company owned by the son of the creator of the original Macintosh interface) to revamp the Firefox interface, which is a very big deal. The other browser companies will be tripping over each other to copy whatever they come up with.

On ALL computers that I've installed Firefox on, it worked very quickly. Some of my friends couldn't even access the internet because Internet Explorer opened too many processes and welcomed spyware and adware in willingly.

I agree with Necifix on this one. I've been using Firefox for a few years now. This has put all spyware/adaware at a complete stand still. I don't think I've had to format nearly as much as I did when I used IE.

RIP IE

I'm yet another FF fan. Been using for some years now, and like others have said, make sure to get the AdBlock!

Firefox is definitely the way to go.

To the OP...as long as you're using the the standard firewall from XP you're about as secure as you'll need to be for what the average user would access. Just be sure to have a firewall (hardware or software) and use a reputable Anti-Virus. I personally recommend Avast! and AVG as they're both proven to be more effective than Norton/McAfee at finding viruses, they're lighter programs and, guess what, they're free!

Other than that, don't click on links in emails or download attachments unless they're from people you ABSOLUTELY trust, and even then you probably have friends/family who have viruses they aren't aware of. Don't worry too much about the whole "am I invisible on the internet" thing. Things aren't the way they used to be when broadband connections first came about.

Back