What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

connecting 2nd computer to internet

We have a Dell desktop, with internet through Comcast, and just bought a Macbook because we've been wanting to go the Apple path. While the battery charges, here are some dumb questions that reveal my ignorance as much as anything else I've ever written here.

1) Until I get a more permanent solution, can I just unplug the Comcast line from the Dell and connect it to the Mac to set up the Mac and switch the line back and forth between computers whenever I want?

2) Is there some kind of splitter I can connect downstream of the Comcast box so both computers can be plugged in at the same time?

3) What do I need to buy to set up a wireless network and does it plug in downstream of the Comcast box or does a wireless router replace the box? The Mac is ready for wireless, but what do I get for the Dell desktop? I don't have any free USB connectors on the desktop but, if I go wireless, would I be able to free up one of them by getting a wireless mouse and having it go through the router? Do I also connect the printer to the router instead of the desktop?

4) Is there any problem running the Mac and Dell on the same network? Is it less of a problem since the Mac came with OS X Leopard?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

1) yes

2) a router and cables

3) a wireless router, and maybe a wireless network card for the Dell. The Mac probably has one built in. A wireless mouse would have to connect either through USB or the old style DIN mouse connector - an adapter used to come with mice. You can buy USB add-on ports that just plug-in to an existing USB port.

4) Not really. We have Macs and PCs on our network at work. What exactly you have to do to share files I don't know but it can't be that difficult.

3) You can get a router with a print server built in. If you do that, you can print to it from any computer (provided the printer itself likes PCs and Macs already). If it's a network printer, you plug it into the router and don't need a print server. Either option is very handy. Otherwise, no, it won't plug into the router.

And always secure a wireless router. And don't use WEP encryption (it's been cracked).

Back