What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

end of world episode on discovery channel, bad info??

• Thread starter losfreddy
  • Start date

losfreddy

Composter
in this discovery channel episode, they said that when the poles change, the earths crust will move over the mantle and cause a Catostrophic event ending all life on this planet. But in High school, i learned that the mid altantic ridge, as it seperates on the ocean floor, it saves the polarity into the rock. And over the sea floor, you can see that the polarity has changed several times. What i'm wanting to know, is if the earth's poles has changed so many times in the past, why would it be catostropic this time?? I know there has been a seriers of mass extinctions in the past, but is this really what will happen??

I've always heard that you'll get "spots" for lack of a better word while the poles shift, so people in Florida (or wherever) will see the Aurora and maybe get higher risk of skin cancer (or something like that, it's been a while) but this is the first I've heard of that.

I look forward to 2012. A lot of people think something good will happen. Like a spiritual awakening or something. If something bad does happen, I'd like to see it and die in the apocalypse rather than something lame like falling down an escalator.

But given the fact that everyone who's predicted the world will end on X date have been wrong so far, it's unlikely anything will happen. Still fun to think about. We'll see in four years.

no offense, but if this world hasn't had a spiritual awakening by now, i don't know why 2012 would make any difference.

learn to swim. lol

The polarity switches every few 100,000 years, so previous switches can't have been too traumatic in the general scheme of things. I'm sure some bad things are associated with a switch, but life doesn't get knocked back to the Precambrian and the continents just keep chugging along.

rather than something lame like falling down an escalator.

Lame? You could die and continue to fall down the steps and be raised back up for hours before anyone noticed! I'd probably take that over the apocalypse. I mean... Everyone dies in the apocalypse, but how many people can say they were going up and down stairs for hours after their death?

In the afterlife who wants to talk to another schlub who died in the apocalypse? No, it's all about the escalator.

hahah 2012. Yeah, no one else has been right about the world ending. We've survived about 408258 predictions that it was going to end, and it hasn't. "But the Mayans said it would!" Screw the Mayans. Are you really going to trust some people who thought they needed to sacrifice people to the gods? I mean let's get real. If they were so advanced and all knowing, they would've seen the Spaniards coming.

Hmm...2012 huh? i better start spreading my genes! :D :D :D

So now the "end of the world" is 2012... eh?

People have been predicting "something or other" occuring in the not too distant futuire for thousands of years. I remember the dad of a kid I grew up with was gonna leave his family and go wait in the ruins at Petra for Jesus' return back in the 1970s, so far I haven't seen any photos of ol' Messihe on any newspapers announcing his triumphant return. I also don't think Queztocoatl will swim out of the sky either though I'd like to see that, I do like dragons! Don't put faith in anything other than a new year rolling over.

Oh, what happened to the world ending in 2000? Was that called off, or was the release date of evil pushed back to 2012 due to production and funding delays?

the poles flip on a fairly regular interval.......will this hurt some ppl? prolly but doubt it would wipe out everyone......

All I know is the photocopy machine in my office actually has a "Y2K Complaint" sticker so I'm good to go.

xvart.

But does your tectonic plate have a Y2.012K Compliant" sticker?

Back