What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Easier

upper

Capensis Killer
Nepenthes or Venus Flytrap?

What a broad question...

They both can be considered easy, depending on conditions and species (Nepenthes). Generally speaking, they both can be considered low maintenance. If you can provide proper conditions then you will have no trouble with either species (unless you get into ultrahighlanders and/or can't provide dormancy).

It all depends on the person and the place.

xvart.

This was meant as a poll...
My vote's on nepenthes

Neps are... no dormancy and no need to put outside.

Neps are easier for me because squirrels destroy my VFTs. I don't think they ever eat them, but maybe the scent makes them root around for something they never find. Then I come home at the end of a sunny day and find toasted VFTs. If not for that, VFTs would be easier because they spend half the year sleeping with my Sarrs.

nepenthes. anything that has a dormancy is going to be harder work than a normal tropical. all of my VFTs rot over the winter, thats why i find them so difficult. my neps are inside happy as clams and throwing out pitchers.

again...thats me because i live in a place that has way less than ideal winter conditions.

Alex

wow..this is interesting..im surprised at the number of people saying neps are easier!
personally, I consider neps quite a bit harder than VFTs..
to me, VFTs are a breeze..dormancy isnt difficult.
but most neps (IMO) are much more "fussy" and require much more rigid environmental control than do VFTs..requiring the building of special enclosures for most neps to control temp and humidity..(yes I know there are a few species that will grow as "windowsill neps"..but they are rare)

so..I say VFTs are WAYYY easier than nepenthes!

Scot

Here's my death toll
Neps: 3
VFTs: ~30 (if not more)

VFt's can be thrown outside on a patio with water every couple days. They will most likely thrive in that spot indefinantly.

Easier neps can be thrown on a windowsill with water and thrive there indenfinantly.

You pick! Or get both an experiment...

Scotty, Neps are easy once you get the correct conditions set up for proper highland or lowland growth, just keep them exactly the same 365 days a year and you will have happy thriving plants. The VFT's and other North American carnivores need those seasonal temp changes which is quite hard for apartment dwellers like me to supply.
Neps (and most orchids) are like the amazing Popiel Rotisserie Oven, "Set it and forget it!" :-D

IMO, VFT are easier. The only thing I can complain about is that under my care, they are prone to pests. Dormancy is no problem. I have had a much harder time dealing with Neps.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what kind of conditions affect your area…

My limited CP experience says that VFT are easier (and more forgiving of learning errors)

Back