What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have pet birds?

I was wondering how many people on the forum have pet birds in addition to carnivorous plants?

I started keeping parrots 2 years ago.

This little guy was my first bird. (Buddy)

Buddy2.jpg

I almost bought her next.

Scarlet.jpg

Ended up taking the umbella cockatoo home instead. (Booboo)

Booboo.jpg

FABULOUS! I love birds but I doubt with my career choice I'd have the personal time for them, so that's out. I do love them, though. Your birds are fantastic! Macaws and Cockatoos are so soft and sweet (and SMART!)

We had a pair of Cockatiels when I was a kid. Messy little bird.

I've always wanted to know why some birds have shiny beaks, some have matte beaks. Why is this?

About ten years ago I kept a pair of Emerald Toucanettes and had one Keel Billed Toucan. Do not keep birds anymore due to time constraints. Aviarys take alot of time. Loved keeping though. Maybe again one day when I retire.

I had a lovely button quail I had him for 6 months I went to california for a few weeks he went insane without the people, the women watching him could not have him in her small house since he was an extreamely noisey bird so they let him go in the cold.... :censor:
I know sounds retarded and such but he kinda lost it but I wish I had him :(
I always had a slight interest in parrots and other smaller birds but with 4 siblings they will bite them or something will get out If I move back to hawaii I will try to persue a outdoorsy(or indoors depending on the plausibility) bird I knew a few people with cockatiels that lived in the house and outside happily for a loong time...

About ten years ago I kept a pair of Emerald Toucanettes and had one Keel Billed Toucan. Do not keep birds anymore due to time constraints. Aviarys take alot of time. Loved keeping though. Maybe again one day when I retire.

That is Fabulous! I had no idea you could keep these as pets. Beautiful animals. I'd definitely MAKE time for a toucan! Do they make good pets if socialized well?

Yea JLAP. I think Keeled Bills are endangered now. But most birds now are captive bred and hand fed. Toucans are awesome birds but need large outdoor aviary to keep. Emerald Toucanettes are still available and some other types of Toucans. Are very expensive now though. You will probably pay $2500 to $4000 for a common Toucan now ( fruit loop bird).

Used to breed Sun Conures, Jendays & Solomon Island Eclectus - amazing creatures.

There was a lady on the forum a while back who posted some videos of one of her parrots taking a bath. She had a huge number of birds.

I have a 2 year old male Yellow Naped Amazon.

Awesome birds!! I have a peach front conure and two senegals. All three are execellent talkers and have many mechanical noises. I would love to have an african grey someday, but I have my hands full with the 3 I have now.

I love macaws and cockatoos. Cockatoos are so snuggly and loving and macaws have comical personalities. Thanks for sharing.

Henry- male senegal
008-2.jpg

Clydie- male senegal
005.jpg

P.C.- male peach front conure
007-1.jpg

I had a grey cheeked parakeet for 9 years that had a heart attack or something back in 1998. It just let out a squaw and fell. I held him in my hands and he died after a few minutes. His little beak was moving like he was trying to talk. Man that sucked. He was a cool bird. "Buddy boy" is buried outside, under my bedroom window.

I had a grey cheeked parakeet for 9 years that had a heart attack or something back in 1998. It just let out a squaw and fell. I held him in my hands and he died after a few minutes. His little beak was moving like he was trying to talk. Man that sucked. He was a cool bird. "Buddy boy" is buried outside, under my bedroom window.

That's really sad and I'm sorry to hear that. My cockatoo scared me just this last fall. I was walking through the house with her on my shoulder. We were walking through a room that was kind of dark and I reached up to get her off my shoulder so I could put her back in her cage. That spooked her and she jumped off me and onto the ground. When I picked her up I noticed droplets of blood on the floor. She was bleeding from her mouth. I called the breeder I bought her from and she advised me what do do over the phone. The same night I also took her to a local emergency animal hospital. They really didn't do much because they didn't have an avian vet. Her bleeding slowed down and stopped completely by the next morning. She had accidently bit her tongue when she jumped off me. Thankfully this story ended happily and she recovered just fine.

Here's a picture when I told her how much we could have saved on our car insurance if we had gone with Geico

booboo6.jpg

Here's a picture when I told her how much we could have saved on our car insurance if we had gone with Geico

ROFLMAO. That's classic. Good to hear she's healthy now :). Wonderful birds you have there.

She's a beauty! Wow!

Yup: finches

Birds112006.jpg

Entertaining little colony I have going

Yeah, parrots can be time consuming. The downside is that they do screech. I'm just happy they don't feather pick. Of course squawking and screeching is normal vocalization for birds. Fortunetly, parrots have the woderful ability to imitate and to speak. I think I'd still like to have a scarlet and greenwing.The parrotlets are pretty cool too.

Back