What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed / Spore storage temps

Hey folks,

I built myself a 6" x 6" test tube rack out of eggcrate for storing seeds and spores and things. I made the rack so it fits perfectly in 6x 6 cardboard shipping box and I was going to start keeping these things in the refrigerator in Vacutainer blood collection vials (airtight) because I've read that seeds and spores and things should be kept cool and airtight.

I left a thermometer in the fridge for a couple days and the temp is 40*F / 5*C is this too cold for tropical seeds/spores etc? I have always kept my stuff at room temp (75-80*F) in mini-ziplocks in a box and germination rates were fine but I wanted to start doing things "by the book". But can't find any specific temperature recomendations for the idea of "keep them in the fridge" -am I worrying too much about this?

It'll depend on the plant. I've read that seeds from mangos stored in the fridge aren't viable, but other tropical seed last for a long time in there. So you might have to check on a species by species basis.

Yeah, I'm just worried about killing em with those temps. I know the ferns and plants would not enjoy/survive the 40*F temps but maybe the seeds & spores go into some sort of suspended animation?
I've always kept these things at room temp and really not had much trouble with germination but maybe just airtight, dark and zero moisture is the key more so than storage temps?

Back