What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ive gotta better plan..............

instead of attacking Iran next, i say we nuke Washington when Congress is in full session and the president is in town..........think we would be better off

The plan is called “The Merida Initiative.” Seems that the White House has had this plan in the works for nearly a year with little congressional input on either side of the border.

We can’t finish our own border fence, properly supply our immigration agents and border patrol with all the equipment and resources they need, or get our house in order. Yet, the Bush administration wants to fork over $1.4 billion to Mexico and Central America–with much of it going into the hands of corrupt law enforcement officials and government bureaucrats who have worked tirelessly to undermine our immigration laws. The funding is tucked into the 2008 supplemental budget.

Naturally, the State Department has taken a lead role. They’ve held meetings in secret and cut out members of Congress from discussion. You’ll love the explanation for the secrecy: Mexico is “sensitive,” you see. Also, according to one expert, “Mexico is very protective of its sovereignty and very worried about any incursion of U.S. security forces or private contractors—like Blackwater—coming in to train Mexicans.” Yeah, they’re worried about incursions and sovereignty.

Story quoted above

And for those that will call BS......the State Departments webpage on it

I'm not too sure you want to talk about bombing Washington. Even though some would agree they are always watching.

How bout we start spending some of our own money on our own country and citizens? I'm so tired of us throwing money all over the world. I and my future children can't afford this crap! And this blanket 'security' crap they throw around to get away with whatever they want.. sigh - I am really, really worried about this country.

We can’t finish our own border fence

Naturally, a whole fence would be very discouraging. Because, you know, if im willing to uproot and risk my life to go where the money is, the sight of a fence will stop me easy the way death by desert could not.

The only thing more discouraging to me than a fence is a pit O snakes...but if the snakes escaped into America then they would demand equal rights... and I don't want snakes to be voting and driving cars...snakes would make horrible drivers...

a fence is idiotic......i say turn the border control over to the states that have borders with Mexico......pretty sure the generall populous of Texas could control their border alot better than the feds or a fence could do.........hell this time of year i would vollunteer to help out in AZ or NM for a few weeks.......Kalifornia is on its own though...........

a fence is idiotic....

Agreed, fences do not work, hence my sarcasm lol.

etty sure the generall populous of Texas could control their border alot better than the feds or a fence could do.........hell this time of year i would vollunteer to help out in AZ or NM for a few weeks.......Kalifornia is on its own though...........

An attractive thought in theory, but one might argue that the very zeal that sends the most enthusiastic people rushing to do that on their own might lend itself to human rights abuses by some of those very same people. I know people like you would act reasonably, but some other people that I have known I wouldn’t trust down there. Those people that pushe the extremes - you know, they are like… “them” the immigrants the others, they are not like us, so you don’t have to treat them as if they were us sort of mentality… some should not be given free reign.

i have no problems with immegrants....half my family has been in this country for less than 100 years......i take issue with illegal immigrants. if they are unwilling to go through the proper channels to become a citizen i have no problem booting there rears back over the border. in general i have no problems with the "us versus them" mentality. is it likely that some ppl might get hurt or mistreated sure......but our government doesnt have a history of treating ppl any better. each state has national guard units.....set them up patroling the border if you dont want Joe Sixpack doing it......would assume securing the states border against foriegn invasion qualifies as a duty suited to them.

I suppose we are talking about a different sort of people. I am not talking about booting their rears back across the border; thats why they are there, to send them back. The us verses them mentality is everywhere and cant be avoided. People form us verses them on trivial subjects such as one's favorite color. We favor us over them, it cannot be avoided and it would be stupid and naive to pretend it would not happen.

What would be a concern would be people who suddenly found themselves in power and are predisposed to severe forms of bias, such as racism. Are you familiar with the Stanford prison experiment? http://www.spring.org.uk/2007/09/our-dark-hearts-stanford-prison.php. This is not prison, but you will have fugitives in peoples hands, so they are atleast somewhat similar parallels.

likely that some ppl might get hurt or mistreated sure......but our government doesnt have a history of treating ppl any better.

Since when did the history of the government behaving badly make it acceptable in any situation? Im not worried about little things, worried about some joe public going out there with a gun and total power... what if you shot them, or did whatever? They arent us, morals in this world have a unspoken clause that includes "to people like us" and an example would be ethnic warfare. You cant do that, thats wrong, if you do it to people like us. Im talking extreme examples of the worse kind because there are people out there who are capable of doing them, normal people.

We don't need a bunch of unorganized mobs down there of anybody and everybody who are not accountable to some kind of system. Military people have training, at the very least, and yet we still have atrocities.

Mob rule looks good within the mob. But who wants to be handed to a mob? We need some serious oversight of some kind that has weight, government or something else..

dont want mob mentality......i want our guberment to do their job and secure our borders.....instead they are giving Mexico money to secure thiers........if that isnt a WTF? situation i dont know what one is......yet the feds are also saying its illegal to discriminate against illegal immigrents if you suspect they have given you false papers.....so long as the SSN checks out your not supposed to dig any further cause its invading their privacy. yet the employer can still get introuble for hiring an illegal.....WTF?..... this country is going down the tubes faster and faster and its because of the idiots in DC. polititions will be our downfall. the more and more i look at the coming election the more and more im ready to just throw up my hands and walk away at a national level and do everything in my power to make sure we keep a governor in office that has the balls to tell the feds to screw off.........

instead they are giving Mexico money to secure thiers........
Umph Mexico really doent have an incentive to close the border... immigrants send alot of money back that forms a huge sum that is really important for their economy... in Guatemala i think it is actually a main source of money. Why would they close it?

am not defending the feds in any way, but it seems like an almost impossible task. I feel the answer to the question "how do you stop millions of people who are desperate to escape poverty and find a better life" is - you cant. That doesnt mean i am saying we should stop trying, of course we should keep trying to prevent illegal immigration.

Perhaps the only solution is to solve poverty in the areas where the immigrants come from. They are only going where the money is. If the money (jobs) could be found where they were they wouldn't be here. If the feds are giving money south of the border to prevent poverty then that may be money better spent than even security here. Of course that is no guarantee that the money isnt being funneled into the pockets of the corrupt local governments... and i have a uncanny feeling it is...

We've destroyed rural economies around the world with our trade rules and subsidies. It's no surprise that those who can escape to here will try.

All we are doing is Policing the world. Our government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

Nothing wrong with wanting to nuke a funked up Government. Especially when theirs an idiot in office. Setting the way for some serious crap to happen down the road unless we do something about it. And us of course have been brainwashed by the media to just care about those famous people on TV. Not the REAL important things. What bush is spending, what congress is ignoring.

Its such a bummer, and theirs next to nothing we can do about it except show people. But we are just a lazy country, as long as the government can get us healthy food, and help us keep our job and retiree, thats all we care the government is fine.

blah blah blah what ever, stand up and fight.

We aren't policing the world, we're forcing sovereign nations to sell out to big corporations and the wealthy. Maybe someone could consider that to be acceptable (I don't) if the interests of big corporations and the wealthy were aligned with the interests of most Americans, but they aren't.

Nothing wrong with wanting to nuke a funked up Government. Especially when theirs an idiot in office.

the working assumption here is that the replacement will be better, but you dont know that. It could be worse.

You know,

Supreme chancellor Karl Rrove.

the working assumption here is that the replacement will be better, but you dont know that. It could be worse.

You know,

Supreme chancellor Karl Rrove.

true.......cant see how any of the current front runners in either party are truly better than what we have now......and thats scary......will some of them be different? defiantly but i doubt better............as i said the more and more i look at the current presidential race the more and more i think the key isnt which party or person is in the White House but which individual is in my Governor's seat..........

im more worried about if ill be able to afford my college tuition long enough to graduate my four years and move some place else. AKA another country

Back