What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

February 15, 2008.

SPRING has arrived again! :-O
well not really..its 25 degrees (minus 3 C) and snowing outside as I type this.
icon_blue_very_sad.gif

But Mid-February every year marks the official start of Spring for my Carnivorous plants!
they are finished with their 3 and a half months of winter dormancy.
They remain fully dormant every winter for the entire months of November, December, January, and half of February.

I am calling this "year in the life part 2" because I already attempted to document an entire year once before, 3 years ago. But I didnt get to finish it because of some photo hosting problems...you can read the first "year in a life", (which was really only half a year) here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/CP/page2.html

This time i'm going to document the entire year!
icon_smile_big.gif

From February 2008 to February 2009.
One entire Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter..until the cycle repeats again with next spring.

The year begins today, February 15, with the plants coming out of dormancy.

CP2008-001.jpg

The photo above is the outside door to the basement..the plants spend their winter dormancy in the stairwell..I went out and shoveled off the snow so I could open the doors (from the inside)
because I also had some stuff to bring into the basement today, as well as removing the plants from the stairwell.

CP2008-002.jpg

Heading down to the basement..this is the door to the outside..the plants spend the winter
between this door and the "clam shell doors" out to the yard..it stays a steady 33-37 degrees (1 to 2 degrees C) in the stairwell all winter...even though the temps outside get MUCH colder.

CP2008-003.jpg

Here they are! Three "mini bogs" wrapped tight in plastic. (I just used black plastic trash bags, sealed air-tight with tape)

CP2008-004.jpg

CP2008-005.jpg

CP2008-006.jpg

Above is the spot on the deck where the plants will live for the growing season..but not yet.

Unfortunately, even though my plants think that Spring begins today, the climate of Rochester, NY does not agree with their internal clocks. The VFTs and Sarracenia in my bogs are native to the South East USA, where they go dormant every winter, but they get a cool winter..a winter that is much milder (and much shorter) than the winters of the northern US and Canada. That is why those of us in these northern climates must use techniques like "The fridge method" or my cool stairwell for CP dormancy. Its just too severe to keep the plants outside all winter around here..they will die.

So the plants must stay indoors for several weeks before they can go outside for the season..until Rochester spring catches up with South Carolina spring..usually sometime in April.

CP2008-007.jpg

Open up the plastic and see how things look!
things look GOOD!
icon_smile_big.gif

everything looks healthy, green and alive!
there is some very light whispy mold, but nothing of concern at all..nothing that has damaged the plants.

I always say that when using "The Fridge Method" the plants need to stay outdoors all season, straight through summer and into autumn, so that they get all the "dormancy cues" so they go dormant naturally..gradually decreasing temps, gradually decreasing photoperiod, so by the time they are ready for the "fridge" (or whatever dormancy location you choose) in late October or early November, the plants are already naturally dormant..
"The fridge does not cause or create the dormancy, it merely maintains the dormancy that was already created naturally outdoors"..

This is all true.

But what about in the Spring then??
shouldn't the plants come slowly, gradually out of dormancy?
just as they went slowly, gradually, into dormancy?
ideally...yes.

but again, nature in Rochester, NY does not cooperate.
the plants simply cant go outside yet.
So they get a rather abrupt and sudden spring..they go from 35 degrees (1C) in the stairwell to 70 degrees (21 C) indoors pretty much instantly..(although it probably takes a solid 24 hours for the very cold peat in the pots to warm back up to room temperature.)
Its not ideal..but its all I have.

I just consider it a very sudden warm spring!
that sometimes happens naturally outdoors too..
you can go from 40 degrees one day to 70 the next.

I have been bringing my plants out of dormancy this way every spring for 15 years now..
it works fine.

Here is a look at all three bogs!

CP2008-008.jpg

CP2008-009.jpg

CP2008-010.jpg

CP2008-011.jpg

CP2008-012.jpg

CP2008-013.jpg

CP2008-014.jpg

My entire CP collection is in those three "mini bogs" except for three plants.
In the photo above is my D. binata, on the left, and a lone S. flava 'veinless'.
I have left the S. flava in its own pot, because it grows oddly every year, with strangely curved and somewhat deformed pitchers..im not sure if something is wrong with it or not,
so I keep it isolated from the rest of the Sarrs.

the D. binata and the Flava were also in the stairwell with the bogs..I also have a pot of
D. capensis that does not get a winter dormancy.

And thats all for today!
icon_smile_big.gif

In a few days I will put the green chicken wire back on, before the plants start growing,
and I will put the drain tubes back on and give the plants some new water.
(I bought a few jugs of distilled..I wont have my rain collector set up again until the plants can go back outside.)

I though it might be cool to have this in two places...here in the forum as a thread,
so that people can respond,discuss, ask questions, etc.. if they feel like it.
and I will also copy this all over to my webpage..(but its hard to reply to a webpage!)
I havent updated the webpage yet, but I will soon..

thanks,
Scot

Very, very nice. I love posts similar to these... they always make me happy. :) Your mini-bogs look outstanding (and they're dormant!).

I look forward to seeing your future posts.

EDIT: I forgot to ask... why do you wrap the mini-bogs in plastic bags?

nice! mine woke up recently also! starting to see growth from S. flava and the temperate dews first off!
Alex

Very, very nice. I love posts similar to these... they always make me happy. :) Your mini-bogs look outstanding (and they're dormant!).

I look forward to seeing your future posts.

EDIT: I forgot to ask... why do you wrap the mini-bogs in plastic bags?

thanks!

I wrap the pots to seal in mositure, so they dont dry out..
although with mini-bogs of that size, it might not be technically necessary I suppose!
because they wont dry out very quickly..
but with smaller pots, its pretty much necessary.

the benefit to wrapping them air-tight is no watering is required all winter.
they also get zero light, so they are not growing at all..
its what you would call a "deep dormancy"..no light and temps at 35 degrees all winter.
the plants simply do not grow...at all.

I wrap the pots up tight, then totally ignore them for 3 and a half months..
in years past, I used to check on them once in awhile during the winter, to check for mold,
but I have learned this is completely unnecessary..

when I opened up the pots today, I had not set eyes on my plants since late October.

Scot

I updated my growlist:

Spring 2008

Sarracenia X moorei 'Leah Wilkerson' (1)
Sarracenia rubra ssp. alabamensis AL-02 (1)
Sarracenia X 'Judith Hindle' (12)
Sarracenia leucophylla (1)
Sarracenia leucophylla 'Tarnoc' (5)
Sarracenia leucophylla 'Red' (2)
Sarracenia leucophylla 'Titan' (2)
Sarracenia X 'excellens' (2)
Sarracenia flava (1)
Sarracenia flava 'veinless' (1)
Sarracenia purpurea (1)
Sarracenia X wrigleyana 'Scarlet Belle' (1)
Sarracenia X 'dixie lace'

Mixed sarracenia hybrids, unknown parentage (7)

Sarracenia seedlings, 4 years old, grown from ICPS seed packs - sprouted Spring 2004:
'Judith Hindle' X 'Ladies in Waiting'
Sarracenia leucophylla
Sarracenia flava, Walton Co. Florida
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea

Dionaea muscipula, mixed varieties, (50)

Drosera capensis (7) in 1 pot
Drosera Binata (1)

Everything is is the three minibogs except for:

D. binata
S. flava 'veinless'
D. capensis

Scot

Very nice Scotty. Was hopeing that my stuff would survive our winters in my GH but now im not sure... well I guess ill find out...

Very nice Scotty. Was hopeing that my stuff would survive our winters in my GH but now im not sure... well I guess ill find out...

Jayson,
please let us know how your plants do!
a greenhouse is better than no greenhouse..
but its still pretty darn cold in Bath, NY in the winter! ;)

People have successfully overwintered VFTs and "southern" Sarracenia (by which I mean all sarracenia except s. purpurea) outdoors in the winter this far north..
but always in bogs, buried in the ground, with heavy mulch over the top.
anything in the ground and buried (mulched) will be better protected and insulated than above ground..but its still no guarantee..

This far north, its not really the cold itself that is the killer..its the duration of the cold.
VFTs and Sarrs can survive short cold-snaps in the wild..they often freeze for a few days.
But there is a big difference between a freeze of 2 days in Georgia Vs. many months of below freezing temps in NY..

some year soon I want to try a fairly large in-ground bog..
and keep a few sacrificial VFTs and Sarrs in it over the winter, to try it out, see how they do.

A few years ago I gave my parents a small pot of mixed Sarracenia (no purpurea) to keep in their pond, it was in one of those floating raft things..the bottom of the pot in the water..
I was going to pick it up in the fall, bring it back to my place, and put the pot in the fridge with my other plants, but I didnt make it down there (Waverly, NY) before the first big freeze, it stayed outside later than it should have, into December, so I thought it would make a good test-case..
I just left it outdoors all winter..
total death.. :(
but they had no protection at all, so I wasnt surprised.

Scot

Thanks for all the info Scotty. I kinda did this to see if I could keep things like VFT and sarrs without much care. I just have a couple VFT and S. minor 'mix' out there. You think I should bring them inside like you did or let them wake up in spring? or would that be to late? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for all the info Scotty. I kinda did this to see if I could keep things like VFT and sarrs without much care. I just have a couple VFT and S. minor 'mix' out there. You think I should bring them inside like you did or let them wake up in spring? or would that be to late? Thanks again for your help!

At this point, I would just leave them alone..
if the winter killed them, they are dead already!
if not, they will probably survive a few more weeks until spring..

maybe the greenhouse provided enough protection!
it will be interesting to see..
perhaps the winter sun warmed it up inside the greenhouse every day to make a difference.

how big is the greenhouse?
do you keep a thermometer in it during the winter?
have you ever noticed if its noticably warmer inside the greenhouse during the winter?

If the sun was out every day in the winter, it would probably warm up nicely and do a good job of winter protection..but as you know, we seldom actually see the sun most days in the winter..

by now, I would just leave them..you will have some valuable "dormancy data" either way.
it will let you know if you want to try the greenhouse again next winter or not.
this was a pretty typical winter..quite cold.

Scot

February 17, 2008

Day 3.

I went out to the shed and got the green chicken wire covers for the minibogs.

Up until last spring, the CDs kept birds away..but last Spring I encountered one robin who refused to be scared away..I suspect she was gathering materials for a new nest.
she picked out a lot of the spagnum every day, ripping out plants in the process..
so I had "take it up a notch" and devise some new protection.

So I went to Home Depot and found "green chicken wire"..its regular chicken wire, but coated in a green plastic or vinyl..I cut the wire into circular shapes, and pin them down.

Im not thrilled with the look..I would prefer not to use the wire at all..but the protection of the plants supercedes aesthetics.

Soon the plants grow up through the wire, and by mid-summer you hardly notice it.

CP2008-015.jpg

CP2008-016.jpg

CP2008-017.jpg

I also installed the drain hoses..the drains are located about 3" down from the surface.
so the bogs stay saturated with water 3" from the top..
I didnt devise any method for checking the water level, because I dont consider it terribly
important...I simply add water whenever I feel its needed...every couple days or so.
maybe every day during summer heat waves.
I just fill the pots until water drains out the tubing.

I have created a rain water collection system...I will write more about that when it comes time to set it back up in the spring...
For now im just using store-bought bottles of distilled water.

Scot

WoW! thanks for this scot. Always enjoyed your full detailed accounts. :)

Very nice presentation Scott! My plants are still in the cellar stairs as well until I can get them out and properly get them out of dormancy, its just too darned early for them back in Alexandria Bay! I'm in Cobleskill until May so they'll sit around until about beginning of april.

Update!

March 1, 2008
2 weeks into the season.

Not a lot happening so far..but thats to be expected.
It takes a week or two for the plants to even realize spring has arrived.

Although the VFTs are putting out new growth already,
and one Sarr is putting up a flower stalk!

I can also tell by now that all plants survived dormancy this year..
no fatalities. (which is normal too..plants rarely die with a dormancy of 35-40 degrees.)

Here are some new pics:

CP2008-018.jpg

CP2008-019.jpg

Thats the D. binata clump..which seriously needs to be repotted.
I will do that this spring.

CP2008-020.jpg

CP2008-021.jpg

CP2008-022.jpg

Unfortunately I have no idea what variety of Sarracenia is sending up that flower stalk.
I can readily ID all my Sarrs when they are in the middle of the growing season..
I know what kinds of Sarrs I have..
but in this state, with just cut stumps, I cant tell them apart! ;)

The only ones I know right now are the big S. 'Leah Wilkerson' clump,
because I just know what that one looks like, it stands out.
And the S. rubra ssp. alabamensis AL-02
(the flower is neither of those)

I always say I want to give them some kind of ID tags..
maybe I will try that this year..

Thats it for now..I will update again in 2 weeks.
still no real signs of spring outside..

Scot

Scotty I always love your photos! Very beautiful plants. I also notice that you seem to grow only NA CPs ...just an observation. I would love to have a bog like yours and you have given me several ideas when i get my own house and family etc. Btw if you look on the right and to the "north" of the flower you can see a tiny pitcer forming :D Cant wait for the update mate! :D

One Month Update!

The first two weeks, nothing much happened..
but the second two weeks, there has been an explosion of growth!
and one sarracenia flower has opened!

CP2008-023.jpg

Many VFT traps are already open, and some flies have appeared in the house..
my theory is the new flies were "born" from the bogs, because they appeared right after the bogs came out of the the basement..not many flies, 4 or 5.
my wife has been feeding the flies to the VFTs!

No open sarracenia pitchers yet, but lots of pitchers pushing up.

As you can see, there are sadly zero signs of Spring outside yet..
still no snowdrops, no crocus, (the earliest bulbs to appear)
and still snow on the ground.

CP2008-024.jpg

The D. binata clump is well on its way.

CP2008-025.jpg

CP2008-026.jpg

the one big Sarracenia flower has opened!
normally I dont let any of my Sarrs or VFTs flower at all..
I just cut off all the flower buds as soon they appear, because I dont care about growing anything from seed right now, and flowers just sap energy from the plants that could otherwise be put into trap production.

But this year I let this one flower open because my wife has never seen a Sarr flower before! now that she has seen it, it will be snipped off..
(maybe put it in a vase!)

Maybe if my Leah Wilkerson flowers, I will try some cross pollination with something else.
And a friend of mine also has a ICPS alabamensis..we have wanted to cross our two alabamensis, but they never flower at the same time..so thats not happening anytime soon either...

later today I will cut off all remaining Sarr and VFT flower buds.

CP2008-027.jpg

CP2008-028.jpg

And thats the one-month update!
things are coming along nicely..

still anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks before they can go back outside.

Scot

Wow looks great scotty! Cant wait to see what they look like when ya put em outside, thats if it gets warm.....

can you please tell me more about these.... drain holes.... i'm interested in the method, just dont know how it works or what's it for. can you help me?
February 17, 2008

Day 3.

I went out to the shed and got the green chicken wire covers for the minibogs.

Up until last spring, the CDs kept birds away..but last Spring I encountered one robin who refused to be scared away..I suspect she was gathering materials for a new nest.
she picked out a lot of the spagnum every day, ripping out plants in the process..
so I had "take it up a notch" and devise some new protection.

So I went to Home Depot and found "green chicken wire"..its regular chicken wire, but coated in a green plastic or vinyl..I cut the wire into circular shapes, and pin them down.

Im not thrilled with the look..I would prefer not to use the wire at all..but the protection of the plants supercedes aesthetics.

Soon the plants grow up through the wire, and by mid-summer you hardly notice it.

CP2008-015.jpg

CP2008-016.jpg

CP2008-017.jpg

I also installed the drain hoses..the drains are located about 3" down from the surface.
so the bogs stay saturated with water 3" from the top..
I didnt devise any method for checking the water level, because I dont consider it terribly
important...I simply add water whenever I feel its needed...every couple days or so.
maybe every day during summer heat waves.
I just fill the pots until water drains out the tubing.

I have created a rain water collection system...I will write more about that when it comes time to set it back up in the spring...
For now im just using store-bought bottles of distilled water.

Scot

can you please tell me more about these.... drain holes.... i'm interested in the method, just dont know how it works or what's it for. can you help me?

Upper,
each pot has a drain hole near the top, and nowhere else..no drain at the bottom.

CP2008-017.jpg

that picture shows the drain hose coming out.

I drilled a hole in the plastic pot, and got a hose fitting at Home Depot for the clear plastic hose to fit into..I used garden hose washers (rubber washers) to seal the two sides of the fitting tight to the plastic of the pot..(it leaks a bit, but thats not a big deal)

there is a also a small hole in the top of the clear platic tubing, to let in air as the water drains out...otherwise air bubbles tend to block the water flow..that small hole is needed to relieve the pressure..(in the same way a gas can, or even a coffee cup, needs that small hole to let in air as you pour out gas or drink coffee)

when I water the pots, I simply pour in water over the top of the bog until I see water begin to drain out the hose..thats when I know its "full"..
the hose drain keeps the water table of the whole bog at that hose level, about 2 or 3 inches below the surface..

I dont have any way to monitor the water level as it drops due to evaporation, and I dont consider that necessary or important. if the water level drops from "hose level" down to 4 or 5" below the surface, its not a big deal..there is still a ton of water in there!
I simply re-fill the bogs whenever I feel its needed..probably once a week or so in the summer..more often if its unusually hot.

without the drain hose, water would fill ALL the way to the top when it rains..actually submerging the surface..
thats not necessarily a bad thing, the plants can handle that, but if there is a lot of rain you will find yourself tipping the pots a lot to drain off the excess water,
which can be a pain...the drain hose simply keeps the water level where you want it, at all times..

the water level can fall below that level, but it will never be above that level.

does that help?
if not, feel free to ask more questions!

thanks,
Scot

Back