What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to root Vanilla planifolia

I have a Vanilla planifolia vine that is getting way to big.
How do I cut it up and root it?
I will be giving away some cuttings if successful.
thanks,
Zero

Although I've never grown or propagated Vanilla planifolia, I found this information:

"CULTIVATION PROPAGATION

Commercial vanilla is always propagated by stem cuttings. In vegetative propagation, the cuttings should be taken from healthy vigorous plants and may be cut from any part of the vine. The length of the cutting is usually determined by the amount of planting material available. Short cuttings, 20 cm in length, will take 3 to 4 years to flower and fruit. Cuttings, 90-100 cm in length, are usually preferable. In some regions, cuttings 2-3.5 m in length may be used. When available, with their free ends hanging over supports; these will flower and fruit in 1 to 2 years. It is usual to remove two to three leaves from the base, which is inserted into the humic layer and mulch. With short cuttings, at least two nodes should be left above ground. The portions above ground should be tied to the support until the aerial roots have obtained a firm grasp. Cuttings are usually planted in situ, but they can be started in nursery beds when necessary. Because of their succulent nature, cuttings can be stored or transported for periods of up to two weeks if required. "

from this site http://www.orchidsasia.com/vanillaplants.htm

I rooted them before but the sun killed them I left a cutting in water and it made a root(side shoots ?)

I rooted some in fir bark, perlite, charcoal, and a touch of peat right around the cut. I later switched to the same mix minus peat when it had roots.

Jm,
If what you're talking about looked like a root (long, white) and came out of the side of the stem, that's an aerial root. Vanilla is an epiphyte after all :D

Just re-rooted my variegated one by putting it in straight perlite and sticking the pot in my petiolaris tank (high heat and humidity.) Rooted inside of a week.

PYRO, do you lay the cutting on the substrate or put the stem in it?
phissionkorps, you should see the arial roots mine has, they are over 3ft long:)

I put the stem in the perlite to about 2cm depth, nothing major. You could probably just lay the cutting on perlite but I did not have the room for that.

thanks,
that was what I was looking for, PYRO

Back