What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My brother made front page...

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
...well, front page of the business section lol. I know some people don't like the cops... But it's nice when they are featured for the good they are and do. Congrats Ron! How come I couldn't have been riding with you that day? I coulda been all poking out from the side with the "What's going on over here?" look haha :-))
Andrew

ronwebsize.jpg

Nice! Treat him to dinner. :)

Very nice, was he expecting this or was it a surprise?

Awwwwwwwwww! It's your BRO!!! That is cool.

Hey, people can bash cops but who will be the first call they'll make when they are in trouble? A cop.

I really like it when LEOs mingle with the community. I think it makes a big difference in communities plagued with a lot of crime. People don't feel alienated from the police and are quicker to offer crime tips....and gives the kids someone to look up to.

I know there are bad LEOs out there but...they all put their lives on the line every day and we don't think much about that.

GO Andrew'sBro!

It was a surprise... Officers always report to the central office where they are /what they're doing at all times of the day... The newspaper called and asked where they could run into an officer doing this next so they sent them to this office where he was currently at.

Right now he is on this weekends off thing... Once he's back to working the weekend I'll be able to ride along some more :)
andrew

That's a great idea. Maybe I'll suggest it to our local PD, and town officials. It might ease the friction in Kankakee.

Nice! Treat him to dinner. :)
Nuts to that! He's a celebrity now and should buy the dinner! :jester:

I agree with PAK, it's good to hear some positive news about the police.

Great article Andrew. This puts a positive light on law enforcement and shows the difference being made to individuals in a community. It's too bad more police departments don't practice the same idea. Maybe some will catch on. Thanks for sharing.

You guys are too positive and are lowering our standards. Do any of those five businesses have doughnuts or does your brother have to pay his dues visitng insurance brokers and such before getting a good route? Does the town even have a doughnut place? I was surprised how rare doughnut places are out west compared to here in the east, not counting abominations like Dunkin Donuts. Is a discussion of doughnuts still on-topic when the subject is a police officer? Anyway, congratulations to your brother for his new fame.

Bruce- This is one example of what the police stations are doing for the community out there. We always hear about the bad things that happen so it seems they're all bad... For once, some of the good they do is shown and you want to act like "big deal he's doing his job"?

In my view, the discussion of doughnuts is not on-topic when speaking about police officers. My brother doesn't eat doughnuts (any more than a normal person at least ;) )... Does anyone even know why cops are associated with doughnuts? ...I do. There was a point when doughnut shops would give free coffee and doughnuts to cops just to have their presence in their store. Not because "cops like doughnuts"

The story says "In addition to Allstate, Beauchamp works to forge ties with four other businesses, including some sporting-good stores and an apartment complex." I don't see a food location at all in there at all... Not even a doughnut shop.

As far as "getting a good route" the whole police force there rotates and everyone works every beat in a rotation... So no, he's not doing this just so he can get a "good route with all the doughnut shops".

He's only been on the job for about 3+ years, so I think he's doing pretty dang good. And this "they do good only for benefits of themselves" view is completely incorrect. I really doubt having an article written about cops (and happening to have his photo and quotes) is really going to "fame" him either. But I sure was happy to see cops put in a positive light finally... Nobody wants to see that. They want to see them beating up someone.

Andrew

Congratulations to your brother, Andy! I hope he sees that you posed this. I think it's a pretty good idea, and as you say, it's nice to see some of the positive side of law enforcement covered in the media.

I'm not trying to put down your brother, Andrew, or what he does. I think it's pretty cool he made it into the paper and that's why I said congratulations. As I said, everybody was being too uniformly positive. Remember, this is a forum where even a potting mix preference can lead to blows. So I was trying to liven things up. The doughnut thing is fun, just like what I'd expect if I mentioned being a state worker. Within that number of posts, someone surely would have asked whether I sleep at a desk or in a truck. It's part of the territory. But I do disagree with one thing a lot have said, because I think the media overall gives a pretty rosy picture of people in law enforcement. Especially when you factor in the generations of police shows most of us grew up on.

To say something in support of police officers, in my fair and balanced Fox News kind of way, I get a lot of my work health & safety training at the state fire academy. Years ago, we got to talking about heart attacks and someone wondered how much the stress of fighting fires caused firefighters to have more heart attacks. The instructor said he thought it worked the opposite because he felt that fighting a fire let him release all his aggression beating back the fire. When it was over, he felt pretty good about everything. He said to compare that with a police officer, who goes into similarly stressful, life-threatening situations but can't attack a suspect the way a firefighter can attack a fire. At the same moment a firefighter goes in for the kill, a police officer has to pull back, bottle it up and keep it inside. Unfortunately, that job hazard isn't as photogenic as flying bullets and tends to be ignored.

There are police officers who are stellar examples of the human race, others who are jerks, and then a whole lot that are in between, like most of us. They aren't inherently better because of being police officers. I'd hate having to do their job and suspect most would hate to do mine.

Bruce, while I understand where you are coming from, I do not understand why you say this thread needed to be ‘livened up.’

While in a discussion on police officers, observations about the profession is warranted and desired, I do not see this really as a discussion on police officers.

This thread is about Andrew’s bro making it in the paper whilst on the job, and in a positive light for him and the profession. Why should congratulations and support comments not be positive? We are not discussing our opinions of police in society and such. Perhaps this is not the thread for a lively discussion about police officers.

Congrats I bet eh was surprised
:grin:
ncie to see cops int he news for doing something good cause I'm tired of seeing them in the news for like using "excessive force" and stuff I hate all the bad press they get.

No, Finch, I wasn't coming from anywhere, it was just an attempt at humor gone awry.

Bruce- I didn't understand your "you guys are too positive and are lowering our standards" comment so I took it as you didn't think we should show examples of cops doing their job (and that some departments are expanding what they do). And the "does your brother have to pay his dues visiting insurance brokers and such before getting a good route?" sounded negative (like he is only doing it to get a better beat) So since those sounded negative I took your doughnut comment as negative (since the rest of the reply sounded negative also) So, along the same line the congrats sounded condescending... I had my wife and a friend read your reply before I replied and their views were along with mine. (I was attempting to make sure I read it correct to prevent a misunderstanding of your reply like with finch's lol

Since he doesn't browse this forum often.. I'll make sure to mention to him to check it out.
Andrew

Back