What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lent stories straight from your bellybutton

I was inspired to start this thread by conversation a few days ago in the TF chatbox. What are you all giving up for Lent (for those of you who observe it, obviously). Although I am not Catholic, I do have a short Lent story.

A short while ago this year, my 23 year old sister asked me what Lent was. I started to explain that it is material that gets pulled off clothing and collects in the basket in the dryer. It also is found in peoples' bellybuttons (found out the hard way that it is not the same as cotton candy). I quickly stopped myself when I realized she was asking about the religious holiday and not actual lint. :-))

Is following Lent hard to stick to for you guys (kinda like New Year's resolutions)?

During Lent, I don't eat meat, drive to work, or go paragliding. It isn't very hard because I have lots of practice, since I don't do them before or after Lent either.

This year I didn't give anything up, but in the past my coworker and I would give up something. She'd give up chocolate and I'd give up Mountain Dew. I think I'd loose about 8 to 10lbs in the process, but it'd quickly come back after.

My history teacher asked us first during class "Is a frosty a desert or a drink?" It seemed kinda weird, then he went to explain how he was on Lent and tried to kick off certain kinds of drinks. He said that he went to Wendy's and accidentally got a frosty, and his wife saw him, and he said "Uh...it's a desert! I'm eating it with a spoon!"

Lol I dunno, kinda funny.

-Ben

lent, what???
I eat meat, smoke, drink during lent.

Same here zero... same here.

When is it exactly, isnt that when people get the ash on their head?

It's Ash Wednesday, which is the day after Fat Tuesday, AKA Mardi Gras. It isn't a specific date and is based on an interaction of lunar and solar and religious cycles that would impress even a Mayan high priest.

I never really understood the purpose of Lent. Wouldn't it be better to pledge a public service for...however many days it is...30? 40?

I guess as part of the lentian activities a friend of mine's son gave up food for 30 hours. Wouldn't it have made more impact to have worked in a soup kitchen for 30 hrs?

I would gladly give up stress for Lent.

I never really understood the purpose of Lent. Wouldn't it be better to pledge a public service for...however many days it is...30? 40?

My understanding of Lent is also limited. Maybe a Catholic forum member could explain in more detail to us. I also want to know why people resume what they "gave up" after Easter. If you can stick it out for 40 days, why not give it up completely. Also a good point, Pak, on the public service.

I don't think Lent is just for Catholics. My friend's son isn't Catholic.

I think symbolic activities don't have as much impact as actually DOING something does.

BTW...I love your second sig quote. That's hilarious. :D

It's not hard for me to stick to my sacrifices during lent. I give up the same thing every year and this year will be no different, I'm giving up lent.

Pocket or bellybutton?

Bellybutton

I don't think Lent is just for Catholics. My friend's son isn't Catholic.

I think symbolic activities don't have as much impact as actually DOING something does.

BTW...I love your second sig quote. That's hilarious. :D

Thanks PAK, do you know who said that quote?

It sounds kind of familiar. Oh wait....I think I know!

Alton Brown?

It was Rainn Wilson's character (Dwight Shrute) on NBC's The Office. He's a paper salesman/beet farmer/ex-volunteer shariff's deputy.

Ahh. I was so sure I've heard Alton Brown say that. I wonder if he borrowed that for one of his episodes. He often uses pop culture references in his shows.

I want to marry Alton Brown. lol

Its kinda funny...Good Eats was about beets tonite. I thought that quite the coincidence (even though the quote wasn't from Alton).

Back