What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helpful Roaches

• Thread starter Fryster
  • Start date

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I thought the folks here might find this kinda interesting:

Helpful Roaches

roach1.gif

Cool,(kinda)
Lots pepole who breed large amounts of geckos/other lizards also breed roaches for food. The reason people choose them over crickets is they do not smell supposedly I have never kept roaches (mealies and crickets are fine for me), do not make noise, and they cannot fly. Here are some links:
http://www.blaberus.com
Gecko forums

-Joshua

That was a cool article. I keep Madagascar hissing cockroaches as pets. They've gotten out of their cages a couple of times. :-O

got out of their cages? ive got a species much more active and faster and have yet to have an escapee in over a year

IMG_0113.jpg

Rattler, what was your species again? I know we talked about it long ago, the one that does not climb up glass? I might be interested in keeping them as food in the future... ya know, for reptiles.

B. dubia...............forget the genus............cant climb glass.....keeping them in a rubbermaid tote.....they cant climb that either.....and they love blackberries and raspberries.........

oh and dont get discoids they are spastic b*stards from hell.........dubia are great....discoids are about un-handleable.......the are on meth....i swear.....twitchy as hell

Roaches are preaty awesome, they have some called Death Head roaches.
bcaniifer.JPG
B. cranifer I think

Roaches also have a higher meat to shell ratio compared to crickets, and most species aren't cannibalistic.

I agree with rattler mt, dubias are the best......
Roaches are a little slower and harder to breed than mealworms, thus I breed them for food.......rattler mt, do you breed your dubias? If so would you mind taking a pic of there setup for me?
Thanks a ton,

-Joshua

B. dubia...............forget the genus............cant climb glass.....keeping them in a rubbermaid tote.....they cant climb that either.....and they love blackberries and raspberries.........

You feed your roaches blackberries and raspberries?!?! :0o:

That's some pretty expensive Roach-Chow............

gecko.............give me a few days....dont have a digi cam and have to borrow the shops

Fryster.......not when you grow raspberries.....whenever i go and pick them i find a few that have been worked over by birds or bugs or it they are arched over and touch the dirt they may mold a lil bit, i pick them anyway and throw them it the roach tank..........the blackberries come from some we didnt eat fast enough and started to go bad.....roaches aint terribly picky but clean up the raspberries and blackberries quicker than anything.....i generally feed mine scraps of fruit and veggies we eat.....tops of carrots, apple and orange peels(they dont eat all the orange peel but they work it over pretty good) sweet potatoes.........most anything really............after a couple days what ever the roaches dont eat gets thrown in the worm/isopod tank and they break it down further.....

Back