What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dehumidifier Water

We keep a dehumidifier in the basement and while looking around on the internet I found out that some cp growers use the water from them on their plants. I thought that this would be a good way to save money so I collected the little water that was in it this time of year. Today I decided to water one of my nepenthes and used some of the dehumidifier water. I noticed when I put down the bottle that there were strange bubbles on the surface of the water so I shook the jug to see if their was something causing them. The bubbles formed again so I opened the bottle to inspect the water closer. When I opened it I smelled something perfumey and I realized that my mom had been burning incense downstairs occasionally and they'd been sucked in by the dehumidifier. I quickly flushed the nepenthes pot with distilled water several times and I'm hoping that I won't have to repot it. Anyway I thought it would be nice to let people know that if they use dehumidifier water they should keep their dehumidifiers away from air that may have things in it they wouldn't want polluting the water. Also sorry if this topic has come up before and I'm just repeating old knowledge but I thought it might help keep people from making my mistake.

I wouldn't trust dehumidifier water at all... Just as you've said, all types of things get stuck to the coil. Mold, smoke, dust, fungus, etc... Basically it works by just making coils cold, cold coils then make condensation from what's in the air, the condensation drips off these coils and into the tub below.

Unless you clean these coils religiously, all that stuff above will get stuck to them, and even cake onto it after a while. Then on top of that, the water sits in a dark open top tank for quite a while. You can't even really tell what's growing in that.

Relax. If your lungs can survive breathing the air, your plants will survive whatever condenses out of it.

I've used dehumidifier water for years without a problem. Other than for the problem of trying to figure out what to do with money I save by using it. I don't recommend people drink it or use it to wash their hands before performing surgery, but it's fine for just about everything else. The water falling through a Sarawak forest canopy isn't very sanitary either and, as I understand it, Neps survive on it.

I noticed when I poured my dehumidifier water into a pitcher to water my plants, it bubbled, too. I was scared, but I still used it.... The TDS were 22 ppm.

Anyone else have input on the topic? Tried it? Success?

Back