What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone familiar with sea berries?

one of my fence lines is shared with a daycare........for the most part i dont mind it but it sure means a lack of privacy in the back yard.......so the wife and i are planting a mixed edible hedge both for ourselves and for the birds....we have a few Saskatoon berries(Amelanchier alnifolia), a couple unknowns we picked up for next to nothing in the middle of summer from Home Depot as well as a variety called 'Northline' on order thats supposed to sucker like mad as well as being known for very large and good tasting berries.......have a few red currents as well as a white current on order.......a highbush cranberry(Viburnum trilobum)..........i also ordered a male and female sea berry(Hippophae rhamnoides) supposed to be a very hardy plant from Europe, central Asia, China, ect............supposedly hardier than hell, high in vitamins(7 times the Vit. C as lemons) supposed to make great juice, i picked the female 'Sunny' which is supposed to be a Russian variety thats sweeter than most of the varieties and is one of the better ones for fresh eating instead of having to add sugar or honey to it :grin: anyone terribly familiar with them?......im told they are extreamly popular in Europe................basically i hate the fact that most yards around here look the same due to our extream climate and would rather dump water on a hedge i can eat versus just the usual lilacs that are normally used up here.....

other interesting things ordered with some of the above.....2 varieties of arctic raspberries(Rubus arcticus L, subsp. x stellarcticus), Nagoon berry(more or less Rubus arcticus thats been collected around Juneau, Alaska), thimbleberry (Rubus parviflorus), and a tree form of Saskatoon berry 'Autum Brilliance' (Amelanchier grandiflora) to replace a Chinese elm im taking out in the front yard.....

I remember some NAFEX members - http://www.nafex.org/ - writing about them on their message board. I'm no longer a member and dropped off the message board a few years ago, but you can find a lot of people with similarly flaky interests there. I think, but am not sure, that a standard comment was that sea berry catalog descriptions are too optimistic. But as all us gardeners & fruit growers know, this is the time of year for optimism. Where are you getting all those?

a mix between One Green World and Raintree Nursery, ordered stuff from One Green World last year and was very impressed with the plants sent but this is my first order with Raintree...........yeah i realize the descriptions can be optimistic but have come across the a few comments from gardeners that said that the sea berries do make a very good juice when mixed with water or apple juice.......so i figure its worth a try.......

They're definitely worth a try and I would have if I had more space. You'll be impressed by Raintree; it's pricey but the quality and customer service is excellent.

You should definitely consider joining NAFEX and getting on the message board. I remember an active member being from near Edmonton and another being in a cold valley in NW Minnesota. That should average out to something like Wolf Point. The other benefit is that there's a lot of trading.

went outside a lil bit ago and checked on the plants i ordered last year........both mulberries, all 3 apples, atleast one of the 3 kiwi made it through the winter.......no active growth on anything but the apples but all the others have living wood :grin: a unsure about the other 2 kiwi's as they are smaller than the other one and dont want to take a cutting to check..........the amur grape is a lil on the small side to check aswell......... looks like the gooseberry survived aswell as the saskatoons we bought from HD......glad we had a mild winter for their first.......they should be safe from here on out..........

unburied the concord grape, the neighbors cottonwood tree mulched it for me in the fall.........it looks like its lived......also found a 4th kiwi i forgot i planted :0o: it to appears to have lived..............however it appears i lost half the evergreens i planted.........go figure.......

By losing the evergreens, you'll have more space for good stuff. Good luck with all the survivors.

Back