What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr. + dog = pretty much dead sarr.

so what do people do to keep their pets out of their plants? we have a little chihuahua and i swear that this thing is the devil...yesturday she basically shredded my s. rubra.(while in the planter pot) and decided it was time to rip all the shpagnum off all of the other pots. any suggestions/solutions that's safe for the plants as well as the dog?

~b
:censor:

Where does the dog stay,inside or out?Either way just put the plants on a table so the dog can't get to them.Or just get rid of the dog,LOL:-))

Jerry

What's the size of that chihuahua and have you thought about growing an N. rajah? Ooops, I just re-read your post and see you want a solution that's safe for the dog too. Where do your plants live?

the plants are outside sitting next to the house where they get about half day sun. she is an australian deer cihuahua, has longer legs and jumps on top of the tables and just about anything else....its a tough chore to always have to watch her when shes outside but since the spring time is here the dogs go out for most of the day.

~b

I had the same thing happen. My Lucy decided to kill some of my VFTs, but the poor little thing looked so innocent afterwards....:angel:
18.jpg

Anyway, I decided to build a fortress (as Bruce once called it :)). It's basically a wooden base with a fence wire + chicken wire "lid". It keeps out the birds, ground squirrels, and of course Lucy (it doesn't keep out aphids or mealybugs though). This season I upgraded it and made it much taller and a bit bigger as I will be having tall pitchers growing in.

Here is what it looked like last year:
f12.jpg

There are many ways to keep your dog out of your plants. Don't listen to Bruce and get a rajah!:nono:

Good luck! :)

joosa, i like that idea, keeps everything safe :)

thanks!
~b

I had a similar experience with my Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix last year. The great Vegicide of 2007 left me with only a fraction of the VFTs I used to have. :-\

My solution has merely been "Keep the dog(s) off of the deck while everyone's gone."

hey great idea get the dog a cage instead of putting the plants in one.
great idea or get rid of the dog.

Back