What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sporks & Trades

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
If you're like me you cringe everytime you dive into your pots to uproot plants for shipping. I feel as though I butchering what I do have in order to separate out a possibly entangled sundew.

So I thought of those plastic fork/spoon things (sporks) that one sees in fastfood places. With the same concept of a garden tool that is used to uproot a weed, on a smaller scale, why not use a spork to extricate a delicate sundew or seedling? Whaddya think?

I've done it maybe two weeks ago with a very tiny d.rotundifolia. It works pretty good if you are like me who has big hands and hate to deal with tiny objects.

I love sporks. I have an original box of old wooden ones. Of course, the more modern kitchen spoonulas are quite useful.

I'll always connect sporks and wet naps with Kentucky Fried Chicken. God rest the Colonel's soul.

I don't have big hands. I just hate butchering my plants, especially sundews.

Grapefruit spoons work good because they are pointed and serrated.

Dental tools are also VERY useful with plants. I've used one of those tiny spoonlike tools to place gemmae.

I use a butter knife, bamboo skewer, tweezers as my tools. I might have to add a spork to try out.
peace,
Zero

Back