What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy way to catch an anole?

No, he hasn't escaped yet but I want to build a new terarrium stand and remodel the current terrarium this weekend with some new plants, deeper soil level, etc. so that will all entail catching the little bugger.

Last year I somehow got him to jump into my square gallon mantis hatching jar (has a screen lid) filled with leaves and a stick so I could do the initial setup but he might not go for that again.

Anyone have any ideas?

They aren't that fast; the Anole here can be caught with your bare hands. Be gentle.

I'd be too afraid of crushing the litte guy.

Then use a little aquarium net, or corral him into a jar like you did last time.

I like Anole. They always have this look on their face....

I like it too wish s/he wasn't so skittish. The ones at the shops are all laid back maybe that's cos there's a group and not just the one?

grab them behind the head so they can't twist around and bite you. You could also try using a mirror to get it to come closer. Males hate other males.

grab them behind the head so they can't twist around and bite you. .

ahhhhhhhhhh.......so what if it bites you? its an anole........have taken hits from anoles before......no blood, no biggy...........

Sedate him!

Just kidding, you should video tape your attempts so we can laugh at you.

Jk it would be fun to watch though

Glue trap?

They have those Pistol shrimp/mantis shrimp traps for reef tanks, I wonder if I could get him to go in one of those?

BTW that's an awesome shrimp our LFishS just got one in - fugly but cool as hell! :)

I would think it would b easiest just to cup your hands around it. It is just an anole, I've used cricket boxes for fast sand living skinks. Just get it over it and slide the top under and close.

No glue traps, I think most anoles learn to like you, mine use to crawl on my hand. Probable because my hand was warm and the perfect temp. for his body. Never grb their tails or they will release it and replace it with cartilage instead of bone, also it doesn't look as nice as the first.

I'm just afraid of being too slow trying to hand catch, and then having the anole escape and be eaten by my very excitable young cats. Even with my door closed and gap benath it covered with a towel the anole would be eternally lost in my room! :)

just cup your hands over it :3 i would catch them all the time when i lived in Florida.
they are fun xD
but dont do the fingers behind the head thing, its not a venomous snake or anything and their bites dont hurt >_> just use your hands or a net. lol

I have this olllldddd aunt that lived in Florida, and we visited her when I was in 5th grade. Needless to say and coming from Ohio, I was amazed that there were little lizards running around. I couldn't catch one no matter how hard I tried. Then, my old aunt is like, watch this. The anole was on the leg of a chair. She nonchalantly walks over and claps her hands over it, catching it flawlessly. I was soooo amazed, and even more amazed because of how old she was. Anyways, thats my story.

I has this olllldddd aunt that lived in Florida, and we visited her when I was in 5th grade. Needless to say and coming from Ohio, I was amazed that there were little lizards running around. I couldn't catch one no matter how hard I tried. Then, my old aunt is like, watch this. The anole was on the leg of a chair. She nonchalantly walks over and claps her hands over it, catching it flawlessly. I was soooo amazed, and even more amazed because of how old she was. Anyways, thats my story.

The older you get the smarter you get :-D

Back