What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interviewing CPers for my Research Paper

Hi everyone!

I have an opportunity for anyone on these forums who is interested to provide some feedback for a research paper I am writing on the environmental history of the peat bog, and a major part of that will be CPs. I hope that by interviewing those involved in CPs and bogs, I can provide as current a perspective as possible. I will examine some parts of bogs' geological/ecological origins, unique features, and most of what I will concentrate on will be human interaction with bogs and CPs. I’m planning to cover both positive things (conservation, sustainable alternatives to peat, etc.), and unfortunately negative things outweigh them (peat mining, sphagnum harvesting, poaching, draining of wetlands, development, pollution and runoff). Then after all of that I’ll argue for the merits of this kind of environment for further conservation (biodiversity, flood control mechanism, etc.).

So, I thought it’d be a great idea to conduct a voluntary interview of all who have the time and interest to participate in answering the following questions. Answer as many or as few as you like, feel free to give an honest answer or disagree, and spend as much or as little time on it as you wish. If these questions don’t hit a point you’d like to make, feel free to make up a question and answer.

I will use direct quotes or paraphrasing when needed, and have no problem if you don’t answer everything. Any information helps and I think it very important to write about what’s currently happening in the world of the peat bog, and get current input from people involved with them.

So, if you’re interested, then just reply to this thread and I thank all those who would volunteer their time and intellect to answer my questions.

Interview
1) Name (whatever you’d like to be referred to as, or simply “anonymous” if you don’t want your name used, and I promise to honor privacy)
2) Age
3) How long you’ve been involved with CPs
4) Your involvement with CPs—as a grower, conservationist, etc., and the scale of your involvement—ex. “A couple pots of sarracenia” vs “a nursery full of sarracenia”
5) Discuss your experience with the quality of both long-fiber sphagnum and peat moss over time. Has it increased or decreased, and what do you attribute this to?
6) Discuss your experience with the conservation of carnivorous plants/their habitats. Please feel free to elaborate on particular successes or unfortunate failures.
7) Tell about anything you have done that might be considered "good" for CPs in the long run (ie creating your own clones, propagating wild clones/seed, or contributing ideas--basically a multipurpose question where you can say anything on your mind).
8) How effective do you think the conservation of carnivorous plants/bogs has been? What could still be done to make it more effective?
9) What, in your opinion, are the largest threats to CPs and the ecosystems they live in? Name any number of things you can think of.
10) Why save carnivorous plants and bogs? What loss to humans, the planet, biodiversity, etc. would a loss of CPs and bogs be? Does this potential loss outweigh, in your opinion, human interests like peat mining, development, drainage of wetlands, etc.?

1: Clint
2:18
3:In general, since about age six. As a serious hobby, for four years.
4:Hobbyist. I mean.. I'm a conservationist but I don't *do* anything.
5:I've noticed no difference in the quality of any commercial media over the years. The quality of the sourced moss will vary, but the brands have kept the same level of quality.
6:I don't really do anything lol. I have field collected S. flava from a plot of land in Fl. that was going to be turned into a subdivision, if that counts.
7:I don't really understand this question. See above if applicable.
8:Things are improving. Especially with the advancement of silk Sarracenia to replace natural pitchers in the floral industry. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but real estate and commerce will triumph over these plants as long as they are not endangered and protected with more legislation. Adding more Nepenthes, particularly N. clipeata, to CITES 1 would be a huge improvement.
9:Land development.
10:For the same reasons that we would want to save artworks, or historic buildings, or coral reefs. They are part of this world, along with everything else, and if they go extinct because of out actions future generations can't enjoy them. Cp's in culture are nice, but if you've ever had the opportunity to see them in their natural habitat, you'd know why.

Thanks, and I edited question 7 to make it clearer (thanks for the input)!

Back