What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is up with CPUK?

• Thread starter Ispahan
  • Start date
Have any of you been able to access CPUK over the past few days?

Cheers,
Corey

At the moment, nobody know anything beyond getting an IPS error. We have to wait until its owner comes back and deals with it.

oh. thanks for the info though!

CPUK isn't dead - Andy's away on holiday and it seems the forum provider decided a good time to mess things up.

I've read rumours of some webservers going down in the south east of England after a power cut, so I don't know if it's related.

Aidan's site is in addition to, not a replacement for CPUK.

Should be back up in a few days.

Andrew I think it's time you let the cat out of the bag. Since you won't I will.

UK is down because Andy sent a friendly virus to their server as an April Fools joke.

Of all of us, I'd say Alexis has the best handle on what is truly going on.

lol that would be a pretty messed up April Fools joke.

Well Andy is a pretty messed up kind of guy.

Aidan's site is in addition to, not a replacement for CPUK.

why are there two UK-based CP forums??
that seems really redundant and pointless..
one would serve the hobby much better.

I know there are even more..ICPS now has one..totally unnecessary.
Im strongly against fragmenting hobby forums into lots of small, less active forums,
when instead such a small, niche hobby as CP growing could be served perfectly well with only two CP forums for the entire world..

this forum, more "USA based"..(but all are welcome)
and CPUK..more "UK based"..but again, all are welcome.

no other forums are necessary.
its not that big a hobby..

(well..two "english speaking" forums anyway..there is probably a German CP forum, a Japanese CP forum, etc..thats different.)

NFL football or Nascar probably have several billion discussion forums each,
and all can be busy..
but I dont see the need for that with CPs..

Scot

Aidan's set up his own forum, which he's entitled to.

There's no monopoly on forums :jester:

I don't believe the ICPS forum is unnecessary, and not only because I'm a moderator :p It's a nice in addition to the listserve, which tended to discuss more advanced topics, but many people (like myself) find frustrating to use since it's so old school and doesn't really have an interface beyond the form of a chain letter. It's meant to be more professional and adult, without the endless questions that are posted over and over on other forums... like this one :) Let's face facts. This forum is full of newbies asking newbie questions. There's NOTHING wrong with that, but there needed to be a place that was more professional where people could go and discuss more advanced topics after they had already built a foundation of knowledge. The flood of newbie questions (not that we ALL haven't asked them when we were new) is discouraging and a real turn-off for some people.

It's not a competition. Most people post on multiple forums. EVERY forum has it's pros and cons and those will vary from individual to individual. For example, I don't visit CPUK very often because it seems too stringent.

yeah, I know there is no "monopoly" on forums..

im just saying..just because you CAN make a forum doesnt mean you SHOULD.. ;)
if the topic is already covered, a new forum is pointless and redundant.

and it dilutes knowledge and sharing of knowledge..
some newby might google "carnivorous plants forums"
and find there are 10 of them..they pick one at random and post a question..
weeks and months go by..no answer!
they think "bummer..I guess no one is interested in CPs on the internet..I dont have time to try out all those other forums, join them, post a question, only to have the same thing happen...one of those 10 forums might actually have some people on it, but which one"?

meanwhile, if 8 of those 10 forums never existed in the first place,
the newby would have immediatly found the two active forums, and would instantly be happily posting away in an active discussion community..

I know..its just a pet-peeve of mine..
you dont have to agree..

if a new forum isnt necessary..dont make it.
just because you can, doesnt mean you should..

Scot

It's meant to be more professional and adult, without the endless questions that are posted over and over on other forums...like this one

And how is that controlled by the ICPS Board?? While there are many long-time CPers who are familiar with the ICPS and implicitly understand that Board is meant to be more "scientific" in scope, there will always be people new to the hobby who won't understand those implied rules and who WILL post annoying newbie questions. I've seen topics like that posted there myself. What do you do? Delete the posts and tell them to come here to ask their endless newbie questions?

???

Tolerance and education of the young and/or inexperienced is the best way to foster interest in plants/CPS which can guide someone from "ignorant newb" into a scientist studying plant genetics or steering someone into a conservation-oriented career. If the learned are not generous with their knowledge and do not pass it on, the future of CPs will suffer.

I thank goodness for all the experts and scientific folks who answered all my endless questions...and still do!--here at TF and other venues. :) Knowledge isn't meant to be owned...its meant to be shared.

And that's just a pet peeve of mine. lol

But that said...people will go to whatever forums that appeal to them. Some forums might die off from lack of activity but each one offers a little something different so its like a nice smorgasbord of CP info from which we all can choose.

Nope. If I were to answer, I'd tell them the answer and tell them to search next time, and explain how they'd get their answer infinitely faster if they put a little (practically none, let's be honest) effort into it. Considering the ICPS forum is brand new, there's not TOO much to search for, but Google is always good.

I really think you took what I said the wrong way lol. I didn't mean that as an insult to this forum. I said it, quite simply, because it's the truth. There are a lot of newbies here and they tend to ask the same things over and over without searching. Nothing wrong with learning, but when you can find the answer to 99% of those "newb questions" within 60 seconds of searching, it's just lazy to ask a question that's already been asked and answered over and over. We are all guilty of that at least once or twice when we were new, but most off us grew out of that VERY quickly. It's like people think the search button is just for decoration or something.

I'd also like to point out that not everyone new to this hobby has the above profile. It's always refreshing to see someone who researches for themselves instead of posting and letting other people answer their questions, but it seems these people are few and far between. It's sort of like, build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a night; teach a man how to build a fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life. Although, setting him on fire would also accomplish that :p

I like diff forums. At almost every board, I don't mind helping newbies until my fingers fall off from typing, but at one particular board, I get furious if I see a question from one. It's all in the crowd. Certain atmospheres attract certain people. I don't like posting at CPUK because neps are the only thing I grow, and CPUK is sooooo slowww in the nep section (and hardly anything good is posted there). ICPS forums used to be good only for taxonomic discussions, but those have now moved to another board where they're wayyyyy more productive (more people talking besides just me and Dave Evans).

I agree with JLAP... different forums have different flavors... ones lighter hearted, one's scientific, one is built on experience, and so on. Sometimes I direct one question to a specific group, other times I direct it to all of them.

I can see how the segmentation of forums is rough at times for the second example. Yet I know not all of those groups may appreciate youtube robot videos, or the finer art of what a lolcat may be. In that case I appreciate the different groups... but like all pros, there's always the con of things like massive newbie posts, misleading answers, smiley faces, etc. But that's just how it goes I suppose.

-Nate

While I tend to agree that several people do not research enough before posting, I think a lot of cases involve reassurance. No matter the amount of reading done, being reassured about whatever one is doing with a new plant (for example) leaves a more positive feeling and makes one feel less blind to the topic, especially if you are new to something. I know I felt this way when I was starting out. For me I did the reading, but I still had to ask the questions just because I felt my case could have been a bit different from what I had read. I also wanted the reinforcement from those that are experienced.

I’ve see this phenomenon happen on multiple forums... it never stops. :)

Just my 2 cents...

In the meantime --
CPUK is back online.

I don't mind helping newbies until my fingers fall off from typing, but at one particular board, I get furious if I see a question from one.
I don't suppose you'd be talking about any newb in particular pk...that was a long time ago lol.:blush:
I'm not too fond of CPUK...it has some great things about it like the growlist thread and a good trade section, but I think I'd enjoy it WAY more if there was a more active nep section.
I don't really post much on CPIT anymore because I don't have much to say in terms of heated science-taxonomy related discussions. I still read that forum daily though.

Back