What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intake

For Cold air Intake and Short Ram Intake, I know Short Ram creates power with better response times than a cold air, but loses that at higher RPM's. And Cold Air doesnt produce the power at the lower RPM's right?

So My question is it possible to put a Cold air intake and a Short Ram intake on the same engine? And which one do you guys suggest? I would like to think an Short Ram intake would be preferable.

Hi nepenthes -

No, it wouldn't be possible, nor would it make sense to put both a short ram and cold air on the same engine... but, your logic is good, as there are systems out there that are designed to have qualities of both a short ram and cold air. I notice you live in Ohio, so you need to consider how hot it gets in the summer time. Simply put, your car may put down impressive power on a dyno with a short ram intake; however, during summertime, most short ram intakes suffer from excessive heatsoak, thus actually resulting in a LOSS of power.

Go with a cold air intake. It is usually the better choice (depends on the application of course). One thing I will say... it is possible to hydrolock your engine if you drive through massive puddles with a cold air intake; however, you would have to go out of your way to do something that stupid, so I wouldn't worry about it.

What kind of car do you have anyway?

Phil

I consider myself a real man and I see nothing wrong with 120 hp per liter, naturally aspirated :)

Turbos are nice though.

Well I'm getting my first new Car A Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe 08 (Friday) Ive owned used cars before, nothing special, but I wanna do something to it, as its the first sporty car I'll have had, so It would be nice to do some modification. And I wanna do some engine modification before I consider doing any work on the outward appearance.

More bark then bite, as I see it. No point in doing a bunch of body modification if It doesn't have the engine to back it up (at least as much power I can get out of the engine) I'm not expecting to have the top line car, but Its just that guy thing I guess.

Well heck, gonna have to save my money for that but that would be AWESOME.

Back