What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imperial Woodpecker Found

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Currently, without additional evidence for both this & the Ivory Bill, I believe we are limited to hope (vs verifiable proof). I, for one, am absolutely still in the 'hope' mode, although I am becoming more uncomfortable as time continues to pass.... :scratch:

Some "Imperial woodpecker"

I was expecting to see woody woodpecker in a darth vader helmet...:-O

Without the picture or any better evidance i am a little sceptical about wether it is real or not, althoug i would be thouroughly happy if it was real

i'm skeptical since the site has little information other than the price of the painting... it'd be cool, but, show me pictures!

it's almost like wolves in the Adirondacks here in NY... they've been extinct here for over a century but some people keep swearing they see/hear them (yet no proof!)

That woodpecker website is much more focused on selling paintings than anything else. The difference between that or the ivory-billed woodpecker "sightings" and a wolf sighting is that wolves are known to live somewhere else. A gray wolf was shot at a farm in western Massachusetts last year and DNA analysis showed it to be pure gray wolf. Supposedly the closest population is in Quebec. It's unknown whether it was wild or an escaped/released pet.

Well not only is the grey wold else where but its unlikely to go extinct anytime soon unless laws change. This reminds me of when they argued for the longest time that there were no mountain lions in the lower peninsula of Michigan. Well eventually they had enough scat they could DNA test and proved not only that there were some there but that there were enough to have a small breeding population.

Hopefully this woodpecker has found some hidden away place to survive and can make a comeback, the question is are there even enough of them for that.

Birdlife International has not made a peep about such a discovery and they are usually the ones to bring these things to the press. http://www.birdlife.org/

Unless I hear it from somewhere, anywhere that does not have the birds name as its web adress, I wont beleive it.

I'd believe it even with the bird's name as the site address, but not if the site seems to be designed only to sell prints. Or maybe that's just jealousy on my part because I didn't think of it first. I wonder if passengerpigeon.com is already taken.

I got dibbs on Carolinaparakeet.com

You can try to compete, Ozzy, but I'm way ahead of you. I've read that there were so many birds in flocks of passenger pigeons that they'd darken the sky. To raise money for my quest to discover a living passenger pigeon, I've painted a picture of them darkening the sky. Signed copies will cost only $50 + s/h and all proceeds will go to supporting me ... ooops ... I meant some portion of the proceeds will be used to search for passenger pigeons. If I sell enough of these collectible prints, I'll either go search in Hawaii or will search around here from a new car.

fill-with-black.gif

amazing...just...wow. im in awe. i'll buy 5 for that lovely cause! :-))

You see in your rush to beat me, you failed to fully think out your plan. If fact, your plan is so poorly put together that it'll never work.

How you going to get your new car to Hawaii?

Hey Bruce...save that fantastic painting for the NASC auction. There is already a $5 offer. Maybe bidding on that could rival the possessed rubber duckie or the assorted "face of Jesus" items on eBay. Maybe it would bring in $5000 for such a masterfully executed wildlife painting.

Back