What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey OZZY!

I found a Snake! Its a cute little snake I found, A Garter Snake.

2403770109_8f57644b7d_b.jpg

He is about 20 inches long. I'm doing some research on them now I might keep him. Any advice might be helpful Ozzy or any one else. Ive read so far they can be picky eaters. Do they need a heating pad?

I was talking to a friend who said that wild garter snakes don't do well when they are captured from the wild. This true?

I think I remember my zoology teacher saying that wild snakes don't do well as pets when we were doing our snake trapings. You could probably raise it if you really wanted to but you'd probably be happier with a bought snake thats used to being in a tank and would't bite and struggle when you held it.

My dad caught a yellow rat snake when I was a kid. The only time it ever tried to bite him is
when he was capturing it. We've had it for years now and it's very well tempered.

The first hurdle will be getting it to eat. If it eats the rest can be dealt with. You also need to check the laws concerning keeping a wild reptile. If it's not legal you should let it go where you found it.
There are different garter snakes in Ohio. I know at least one is rare and is probably protected, the Butler gardersnake. I'd have to look up the descriptions, I don't remember now.

What are you planning on feeding it? Depending on size the best thing to feed it will be baby mice. Being in ohio, I can tell you where to get plenty of food.
You should have a tank with a warm side and a cool side. The warm side needs to be between 90 and 100f. I use a light bulb with a metal shade and a rock under it. He needs to have a place to hide and fresh water. That's the basic care info.

You and the snake would probably be much more happier with captive born snake. My favorite beginner snake is the western hognose. That's an awesome snake.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I think the snakes in the area we were trapping in must have been a more aggressive variety. I think maybe they were bull snakes. What ever they were they were mean when we caught them and stayed mean when we brought them in the class for observation. They'd lunge at you through the glass whenever they saw anything move and bite when they got the chance.

I think I'm going to set it free, I've found a few places that say most wild snakes don't do well in captivity, and ozzy pretty much confirmed it. I was going to give it earth worms, insects, an occasional feeder fish (the vitamin deficiency), find some tadpoles at the creek, and an occasional pinky, even though a pinky would be sad for me seeing as how I have 2 rats.

Thanks for the info, I wanna fund different snakes and get pictures of them, thats my goal for the summer. Get at least 10 different species of snake on camera.

Head south, we can find some snakes.

I think I'm going to set it free, I've found a few places that say most wild snakes don't do well in captivity, and ozzy pretty much confirmed it. I was going to give it earth worms, insects, an occasional feeder fish (the vitamin deficiency), find some tadpoles at the creek, and an occasional pinky, even though a pinky would be sad for me seeing as how I have 2 rats.

Thanks for the info, I wanna fund different snakes and get pictures of them, thats my goal for the summer. Get at least 10 different species of snake on camera.

2 summers ago, I found a snake while hiking in the foothills near our place. I threw it into a box that was in the back of our car, took it home, and promptly went out and bought a terrarium for it. I don't remember what kind of snake it was, but at the time I researched it like crazy to make sure I was going to take care of it well. I too ran across info saying wild snakes don't do well in captivity, especially by a snake noob like myself.

After 3 weeks of it striking at the side of the container everytime we flicked on a light, walked by, walked in the room, etc, I realized I was only stressing it out and that I better let it go. So, we did just that, right took it right back where we found it. I think I saved it from a slow death by doing so!

Do you happen to know what the large species of gardersnake is in my state? My brother was bitten by one and my parents wouldn't believe me or him that it was completely harmless. Then when they got the the hospital witch was really packed and one guy came in with a huge swollen leg sat down after going to the counter. As soon as my mom told the lady he was bitten by a snake he got a room! :jester: I sort of want one but, even if I can I will have to wait until I move out.

Mass. has the common garter snake. They are a venomous snake, but only to small animals like frogs.

Really? I thought they were nonvenomous. Thanks, I just love those aggresive devils!

They are not dangerous and only technically venomous. A bee would probably be more venomous than they are.

I never said I would think of it as any more dangerous.

Back