What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

urrgggh... a cold snap!

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Last night I brought all my CP's into the garage from the 37 degree cold. Tonight it's a degree higher!
urrggghhh

Should I even bother brining them in? I don't want to get them used to this cold weather because next week I know it's probably going to be blazing hot again.

A few sarrs, a flytrap, and a couple of sundews are in question here.

i figure if it doesnt actually get below 0, im not going to bother with the sarrs and vft, the dews i might bring in.

~b

You are both in places or close to places where your plants grow as weeds, so don't sweat it. Very cool, highly desirable weeds, but weeds nonetheless.

37 is fine..
no need to bring them in for that.

I have brought my plants in the last few nights..but we are hitting 27.

if its above freezing (32F or 0C) leave them out.

Scot

I leave mine out all year. It won't hurt em.

I will probably even leave my nepenthes outside during this coldsnap.

I told you last week it was going to get colder tonight.

Thanks for the replies. I left all of them out except for a very small, newly transplanted binata seedling.

I told you last week it was going to get colder tonight.
Haha
Well, you were right. You've got the weather in NC down pat; those dopes on the news have no idea what they're talking about.
-Matt

I've always left my Sarras and VFTs outside year around with almost no problems here in NC. I live right down the road from you. It may not be too far fetched for our Sarracenia to cross pollinate between Gibsonville and Mebane. It would have to be the Lance Armstrong of bumble bees though.

Good growing

I've always left my Sarras and VFTs outside year around with almost no problems here in NC. I live right down the road from you. It may not be too far fetched for our Sarracenia to cross pollinate between Gibsonville and Mebane. It would have to be the Lance Armstrong of bumble bees though.

Good growing
Haha, Lance Armstrong
Thats awsome! I didn't realise there was a another grower right around the corner; we're a few and far between breed.

If you ever want to trade, cross pollinate, etc, just give me a shout.
Same for you Ozzy, even though we're a little further away.

Also, (sorry, a little off topic) do either of you know of any NC CP club?

Thanks
-Matt

There is no cp club here, unless you want to make one. You two have to get together and take a drive to the beach to look for some cp's.

Haha, Lance Armstrong
Thats awsome! I didn't realise there was a another grower right around the corner; we're a few and far between breed. Its a little weird how there are so few NC CPers on this forum in this state despite what awesome CPs there are here from the mountains to the coast. I know I took them to heart the first time I saw them in natural habitat back 10 years ago.

If you ever want to trade, cross pollinate, etc, just give me a shout.
Same for you Ozzy, even though we're a little further away.

Also, (sorry, a little off topic) do either of you know of any NC CP club?

Thanks
-Matt

We could certainly get together and trade one day. We'll have to trade growlist and what species we have extras of or something soon. Also, the nc cp club would be a great group to have in this state. Its a little weird how there are so few NC CPers in this state despite what awesome CPs there are here from the mountains to the coast. I know I took them to heart the first time I saw them in natural habitat back 10 years ago.

There is no cp club here, unless you want to make one. You two have to get together and take a drive to the beach o look for some cp's.

Yep,

I have not forgot about our earlier discussion Oz. I'm always game for some hikes in CP country this spring/summer. I would like to go hiking in the Sandhills here shortly.

I'm planning on going to UNCC this weekend. I plan on taking a bunch of pics of there CPs and will post some elsewhere in the forum. I'm also trying to find out if a couple of the old CP spots we visited in the Green Swamp are still accessible and not developed.

V

37 is fine..
no need to bring them in for that.

I have brought my plants in the last few nights..but we are hitting 27.

if its above freezing (32F or 0C) leave them out.

Scot

I'm an hour west of Scottychaos.... I brought mine in a couple nights ago and will keep them inside for one more night.

Dude,

I grow many of mine outside year round here in NEW YORK. No worries.

Well, this winter I brought in my VFT's, but that was due to re-organization not weather.

And, just to make sure I state the obvious, so no one goes and makes a bad boo boo based on my post - those plants which I grow outdoors are sars, VFT's and some of the temperate 'dews.

Thanks for everyones help.

Ozzy & Drosera:
I'm definately up for some wild CP "expeditions", I'm not too sure when I'll get a chance though. I'm going to be staying with my Dad pretty much the whole summer in TN.

If I come back to visit any time during the summer I'll definately try to squeeze in a trip to go see them.

Someone really needs to put together some kind of club or organization. Anyone up to doing it? It could be called NCCPS, North Carolina Carnivorous Plant Society.

-Matt

Ugh, same here in Florida, it's like 60 degrees out in mid April! I perfer it 80! Global warming's fault! XD

Back