What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triggerplants "new carnivores"

I just got the book Triggerplants by Douglas Darnowski discussing the genus Stylidium, whose flowers hammer visiting polinators with pollen and has stalked glandular hairs to trap very small gnat like bugs. I bought the book from the man himself and he sent me his for sale list but I was wondering if anyone here has or is currently growing them and can explain what they're like in terrarium culture?

The book is very nice I haven't had time to read it yet but it's full color throughout.

I just got the book myself. Paged through it but have not started to read it yet. Just came on Monday.
I was a bit disappointed with the pictures. Many where blurry and out of focus.

I grow S. debile that I made a trade from Doug in late winter. It's on a windowsill and multiplying like mad. It has many flower stalks and flowers. A very easy and small plant for those such as myself with very little room left for more plants. The flowers are smaller then I thought. I took a pic not that long ago here:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112381

I may try another from him once I'm done with the book and pick out which one I want.

I have 2 species, don't remember the species name. I got them from Leo Song years ago and he said to grow them like any other CP, and so I do.

Here are some updated pics of my S. debile.

TriggerHQ.jpg

I did not notice this before I has taking these shots, the glads are even on the underside of the flower petals.

TriggerSide.jpg

i met Doug a few years ago when my aunt had him as a bio professor. ive been folowing the triggerplant carnivory thory for about a year now and from what i know(or remember anyways...) there was a paper written on it. wether it proved them carnivorous or not. i dont know. id also like to grow them someday. they are so cool! did you pollinate those elgecko?

Alex

did you pollinate those elgecko?

Alex
I've been trying on the 3 flower stalks it has now. There is another 2-4 starting to grow as well.
From what I've read on the internet, not in the book yet if it's even there, is it sounds as the Stigmas and Anthers are receptive at different times. So I'm using a brush and going over any flower that is on the stalk forwards and backwards.

I'll be receiving cuttings soon. How does one cultivate them?

Back