What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Fossil Experts?

• Thread starter Maxx
  • Start date

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
looks like it could be a scapula (shoulder blade) of something..

and I dont think its a fossil..its a bone of recent origin.

how big is it?

Scot

I'm not a fossil expert, but I'm with Scot, I don't think it's a fossil, but a more modern bone. I'd also be curious about size, and what beach it was found. I'm wondering if it isn't a marine mammal--a whale fin? Interesting mystery! Mike

it's not a fossil fo sho. I was thinking a brown pelican scapula or some other big bird shoulder-ish thing.

Oh wait maybe it wasn't a fossil (oops). Either way it's still unknown what it is. It's not a complete piece so it's like 6in across and it was found on the beach in Long BEach CA.

It looks like a fossil scapula of an African paleoswallow. Did you happen to notice a fossil coconut anywhere nearby?

A swallow carrying a coconut?

A swallow carrying a coconut?

it could grip by the husk.

As for the bone, I agree it does look like a scapula of some kind though it doesn't look like any thing I am familiar with, though I must admit my ignorance when it comes to bird bones.

hmmm.... well it has me stumped. here's my thinking:

- it definitely resembles a piece of a scapula, but....
- according to my anatomy book (which i'll grant is not the best one out there), birds actually have very reduced scapulae that look more like long bones than flat bones
- it could be a bird sternum, which are wide and flat, but that wouldn't explain the different appearance of the front and back- that indicates that it IS a scapula or some other flat bone, since the sternum is bilaterally symmetrical
- here's the big kicker- most mammalian scapulae that i know of/can find online have 1 spine (ridge)- this one appears to have two

so.... it's either not a scapula and is some other flat bone, or it's a scapula from a species that i'm not familiar with. i'm not an expert but that's the best i can do based on my current anatomy knowledge - i'll get back to you after Block I of vet school- anatomy til you drop ;)

since you're in california though, these people might be able to help you if you felt like taking a drive: http://www.boneroom.com
good luck :)

Ok, looking through a book I had I think it might be from a marine mammal like a seal or a sea lion which both have that pair of ridges down their scapula. I am no expert so I could be completely wrong, though finding it on the beach would make sense.

hehe....duh... forgot about those other marine mammals...

it certainly does resemble a piece of one of these:
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/947/65015476.JPG

and if it was a young seal or sea lion, it could certainly be that small. young animals would also be more vulnerable to predation from sharks, orcas, etc- the california coast has all kinds of cool marine predators :) the double spine is definitely unique, that to me would indicate a different mode of movement besides walking (since dogs/horses/cats/etc etc have single-spine scapulas and it serves as a point of muscle attachment)... like... swimming!

Yeah moonflower, that last picture looks highly similar to what I have.

Back