What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Design Your Dream CP!

I just thought of this and thought it would be awesome. Let's all design our own dream carnivorous plant! Try to make it in paint or some other thing, or just describe it, or both.

ok so it has really long thin leaves and at the end there is kinda like a jack in the box head with really sharp teeth and it grabs flies with its little hands as they fly by and stuffs them in its mouth.

haha human like features would be wierd...although we do grow cps...

I would want a nep that matured in 3 years, and were as easy to cross as sarras, and their leaf bases were covered in dew. Like an overall killer. And the growing tip glows in the dark for some strange reason. I like glowy things.

I'd like 4 foot tall Drosera capensis with tendrils on each leaf where Nepenthes-like pitchers would grow. The outside of each Nepenthes pitcher would be made out of butterwort-leave traps, and of course there would be venus flytrap like traps (can't remember any of this terminology right now) around the base of the plant. It would walk on bladderwort-like roots, hunting for its prey with a spear and flyswatter or simply sitting and letting the bugs come to it. It would also secrete a nector that would be worth $5,000 per cubic inch and, once dranken, would make your IQ skyrocket and make work easiar.

a sarraceniia that when flies touch the leaf thingy on top of the tube it close down shut against the tube trapping the flies, then fill the whole tube up with digestive rhyzome until the flies dies and open again. with dew on the outer of the tube. kinda like a sar+flytrap+sundew.and mature in 2-3 months, and will keep growing without dying back except for dormancy.

Just imagine these plants into one plant. The body of nep, tupe of Sarr, teeth of Ceph, closes like VFT, and rolls like a sundew.

Well, while the above descriptions are.... unique.... I'm going to be realistic and say I'd like something that's blue, like the blue on other foliage plants.

I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry, or both.

I remember years ago someone said, while in Papua New Guinea, they discovered a plant that looked like an intermediate form between Darlingtonia and Sarracenia. Nothing ever became of that... another forgotten myth (William may have not called it a myth, but I am now :) ). He did over react a bit now that I see it again lmao. I'm going to go ahead and close that thread. I've got a bad feeling some newb will resurrect it.

Behold. A thread I made in 03'. Take note of how I did not use capital letters or punctuation on ever line. Boy have I changed; isn't that right, Sizzurp?

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87055&highlight=papua

Look at my youthful enthusiasm. Where did it go? The end is neigh. I can feel the cold, seductive hand of death slowly creeping down my neck. My arteries are hardening as we speak! Oh, it's true what they say. They really DO only want you when you're 17. When you're 21, you're no fun. They take a Polaroid and let you go, say they'll let you know, so come on.

... I think something's wrong with me lmao.

Mine is a giant nepenthes that lives halfway buried and lures cows with corn on a string. There is also giant VFTs on the bottom of the nepenthes.

DreamCP-1.jpg

cold hardy nepenthes. tropical sarracenia.

and im with Clint, blues on plants would be awesome!!

Alex

hmm a giant nepenthes that had really hairy leaves and it has really prominent fangs like hamata. It's lid would descend and the pitchers would slowly shrink and squeeze the insects tighter like a flytrap. And it has stones in it's pitchers deposited their by birds that like to nest in the plants leaves and the stones grind up the more squishy insects like catipillars into a nice creamy paste that will later be found to be a powerful anti wrinkle cream, that doesn't have to be applied to the face it can be taken orally. And men and women all over the world will use it as spread on their toast bagels etc.
really random, so what?

Oh, I got another one! A vft with hard teeth that have barbs on the end. The teeth shoot out on thin strings and spear flies and other insects. They always keep the teeth out on their strings flailing around in the wind unless it has caught something. Lol, im demented.

Hey JLAP, nothing came out of that you say? Not even a spin-off thread or anything? curious. I want to read more of it! I mean, what could he have confused them with? that seems really wierd.

Nope. There was nothing. There may be some secret in the jungles of PNG, but more than likely not. Tim hasn't posted since that thread. I guess I pissed him off when I posted him E-mails.

BUT that's not what this thread is about :p You now know as much as I or anyone else does.

Look at my youthful enthusiasm. Where did it go? The end is neigh. I can feel the cold, seductive hand of death slowly creeping down my neck. My arteries are hardening as we speak! Oh, it's true what they say. They really DO only want you when you're 17. When you're 21, you're no fun. They take a Polaroid and let you go, say they'll let you know, so come on.

I thought you told me you weren't emo...

;P

My ideal: A nepenthes that tolerates low humidy, low light, and is happy right at 70F, no temp drops. But the real feature would be it's growth habit: It would have that of a VFT: Stay rosette, not grow taller, no vine, etc.; just become a bigger rosette with age that never grows higher.

A vacuum sarracenia that sucks down any bug that lands on the rim. No more watching that hornet flirt with disaster only to take flight and go on its merry way. It lands, the VAWOOOP! Gone.

I'm going to second the cold tolerate nepenthes idea. How about a nepenthes that stays fairly compact, has large pitchers that do not die out for a very long time, can live a little further inside of the room than right at the windowsill and has the aforementioned blue (or maybe a dark purpleish tint)?

Or a black VFT (or nep, or sarr or...) nice and sinister looking.

To the idea of the 4 foot Franken-capensis idea-would it reproduce as easily as normal capes do? I don't know if we want that sucker running rampant through our collections.

Bigger Dionaea....

Or a black VFT (or nep, or sarr or...) nice and sinister looking.

HAHA! I had a dream just last week that I created a Jet Black variety of the great 'B52' VFT. The name I came up with? VFT 'ZOMBIE KING'! :boogie:

There are many black neps (well black pitchers anyway).

MM35_PG20b.jpg

~Joe

PS - There's also a subspecies that lives underground!

Back