What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NY Police free to kill again

A college degree proves "I'm THIS" smart. And the one after than proves "I was that smart. Now I'm THIS smart." I wouldn't want a doctor or lawyer or accountant or stock broker without one of them there hoity-toity edumacational degrees.

I don't think being a cop should require a degree. Yeah, it's a tough job an all so send your letters elsewhere, but there's not TOO much thinking involved that would require a college degree.

A college degree proves nothing other than that you went to college for so long. Hell, His Holiness the Dalai Lama studies quantum physics for FUN, tinkers with anything at hand etc and speaks several languages...NO formal education. I know thats one man, but he never went to college
As to the cop thing it requires memorization of local and state if not including federal laws...i'd say thats a bit of memorization and careful study for interpretation...

If you do that without a college degree, then good for you! For the rest of us who can't claim to be of tulku lineage and thus haven't consciously chosen to be reborn, we'll need degrees to get anywhere of prestige and higher pay in this society.

I'd say it's a lot of memorization, too, but I don't think that memorizing laws would require a college degree when you're just going to be a cop.

If you do that without a college degree, then good for you! For the rest of us who can't claim to be of tulku lineage and thus haven't consciously chosen to be reborn, we'll need degrees to get anywhere of prestige and higher pay in this society.

I'd say it's a lot of memorization, too, but I don't think that memorizing laws would require a college degree when you're just going to be a cop.

What about Gates? dropped outta harvard with no degree (that i am aware of) all i'm saying is i dont need a piece of paper to prove i know what i know

I don't know anything about his college career, but once again, if you can claim that you have the intelligence of Bill Gates, then you're obviously the exception to the rule. The rest of us who aren't technological geniuses will need education to know these things, and at the end of that education is a degree, and perhaps another with more education.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, like the Dalai Lama and Bill Gates. I can't say that I know, or will ever know, anyone that approaches them. What is it you study, Adam? I think it's therapy IIRC. Do you want to be a Psychologist? You'll have to get a doctoral degree, which is postgraduate. What if you wanted to go in a different direction and study Psychiatry and prescribe drugs? You can't do that without a degree.

So, yes. If you want to do anything that requires a license, you will have to have a piece of paper that proves you know what you know.

Actually i want to be a cop...The MOS (military occupational speciality) will be helpful in reading people's moods and how to approach them. No license required there.

Most college degrees are specific fields of study; and, last time I checked, there wasn't one about law enforcement. Law enforcement requires a specific field of study and does not require physics, history, microeconomics, and other general education requirements. Of course, liberal arts degrees are important across the board, for general civic engagement; but, police academy's are their own "college education" in their own right.

xvart.

Back