What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider mites or some other pest on my Nepenthes

reading through the other posts, I'm not sure exactly what it is... I had been growing the plant in the campus greenhouse for a few months and while it looks great, it's developed a few webs on it since I've brought it home (they come back when removed). They run from the plant to the edge of the pot over the soil, and I didn't notice much damage to the plant itself (yet). Does this sound like spider mites or another annoying pest? They have a variety present in the greenhouse. I'm currently drowning the plant for 24 hours, I figure that won't hurt the plant much but should at least reduce the population of whatever is growing on it... will this work or should I try something else? Will insecticidal soap work on spider mites>

Thanks!

you shouldn't use any soap based insecticide on any CP's, since it can be harmful to them.

Might be easier for us to help you if you posted a pic or two, if possible :). Update us if the webs still come back even after you drown the plant/media.
-Justin

I don't know if drowning Nepenthes is a good idea as many of them don't care for "wet feet".

Spider mites are very tiny - like about the size of the "dot" over the "i" on the screen. They prefer the undersides of leaves.

Recommended method to identify: place a piece of white paper under one or more leaves. Tap the leaf or leaves sharply with a pencil or your finger (but not hard enough to cause damage). Examine the paper under strong light. If you see a bunch of tiny dots that scurry around most likely you have spider mites. Examination under 20x magnification will positively identify time - look for 8 legs.

Treat with Neem oil or the relatively new biological based pesticide Spinosad. If using Neem oil remember to spray all surfaces of the plant - upper and lower sides of the leaves.

For more information on spider mites see UCDavis' page

Thanks guys- I checked on the plant last night and it was OK (if a bit soggy...) but I'll pull it out later today. The flooding brought a couple of slugs to the surface so I was *very* glad to be rid of those... so much for the greenhouse experiment! I'll see if the webs come back and if they do, I'll try the tapping test and some Neem oil (I have heard good things about it).

I know Neps don't like wet feet but I'm working on the theory that it's long term... a day underwater might realistically happen in the wild so hopefully it will stand up to it. It's $10 in gas nowadays to go to the nearest Home Depot or Lowes, so I ain't going out for any less than that ;) (and water was readily available)

As far as spreading of the pests goes... I was planning on moving the plant to my desk, which is across the room from the rest of my plants. I could keep it in another room as well but there will be considerably less light. How easily do non-flying pests spread? I'd be very sad if they got to my orchids!!!

For spider mites and other pests I've successfully used a mixture of 3/4 rubbing alcohol to 1/4 ro water and spray the plant. Repeat treatment once a week for a few weeks.

Back