What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Useful Household Objects?

I've got alot of junk lying around and I don't want to let it go to waste. Theres empty bottles, cardboard boxes, jars, etc. So what kind of normal household objects could could be useful in growing carnivorous plants?

You can use plastic containers as water trays.

Ok. Is there anything I could use a glass bottle/jar for?

Um...depending on height, tall nep cuttings.

You could build a fort out of the cardboard boxes.
lol

I suppose the jars could be used as pots as long as they aren't clear.

yeah if you ever want to get into tissue culture save things like glass jars they will need to be sterilized so save pressure cookers and autoclaves.

why not clear?

Clear can cause unwanted things to grow in the pot. i.e- slime, unwanted weeds, etc.
Some plants probably don't appreciate light on their roots either.

I have a Ventricosa growing in a clear pot and have had no trouble, so I'm basing this info off of what I've heard and read.

I have a pothos in a plastic bottle and all around the side is cover in algea, I think thats why. Um, do you mean slime mold, because that can grow with or without light.

Clear can cause unwanted things to grow in the pot. i.e- slime, unwanted weeds, etc.
Some plants probably don't appreciate light on their roots either.

I have a Ventricosa growing in a clear pot and have had no trouble, so I'm basing this info off of what I've heard and read.

Doh.. I grow all my neps in clear pots. But so far so good, no problems to report! I suspect it can't be too much a problem as so many people grow neps in mesh baskets which let even more light in. Also, many neps are epiphytes anyway. Maybe certain species roots are sensitive to light like you said, however, like VFT's etc. I honestly don't know.

I like the clear ones as I can see the condition of the media, when to water, etc. Plus these pots have a bunch of aeration slots cut into them as a bonus.

Plastic Jars:

Pots. Trays. Storage for Nep fertiliser mixture. Storage for cuttings. Nep cutting pot. Storage for extra soil. Mini terrarium for plants needing humidity. Decorative pot holders. Seed storage containers. Interesting pots.

Glass jars: All of the above.

Cardboard boxes:

Can be used if you need to move plants. Storing rhizomes, etc. Putting plants which are dormant and need no light in. Cut some holes in and use it for plants which don't like too much sun. Storage for pots, etc. Cut the sides out and make a mini terrarium for the windowsill.

Back