What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An idea for rinsing media

I use window screen

I wash sand and perlite with window screen. I lay the window screen in a large cement tub and then poor in sand or perlite. I then dump water over it and stir it around. Then I pick up the corners of the screen and make a sack out of it and lift. The water pours out and I dump the water from the tub.

Sand: I first use tap water as the sand is very salty here. Typical TDS reading is 900 the first time I pour in the water. I let it sit for a time and then pick it up like a sack and let it drain. I repeat the process a couple of times and then use RO water for a rinse or two. It takes quite a while.

Perlite: Two ways to handle this. I had some perlite that was mostly dust. I put the perlite in the screen and picked it up like a sack. I then held my breath, stood upwind, and then started shaking in. The dust poured out. Then I rinsed it in RO water. I don't use tap water as it doesn't need as much rinsing.

Back