What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just giving this a bump! Don't forget to RSVP if you can attend!

Thanks!
Nathan

just wanted to give you an update---
my friend and i will be able to attend.
it is only 5 days or so before we'll have to head off to college, but our parents have agreed to let us travel out to the meeting.

I'm planning on being there too.

So, it's less than 2 months from now...

After some thought I have decided to trim down my collection to a more manageable size for my space and time. Too little of both actually. I don't have a list as of yet but will put one together as time permits. See you all there !!

I would definitely be interested in going to this however not 100% sure if I can make it. I will have to do some rearranging of my schedule to see if I can. I already have some plans that weekend but I may change them. I will let you know soon. If I do go, I will bring my mom (Barracuda) with me.

I cannot attend this particular gathering, but I would be interested in becoming involved if you decide to form a group! I'm not too far away, I'll just still be recovering from the Great Moving Fiasco of '08.

Attending!

Hi, I plan to attend, life permitting.
Looking forward to it.
Paul

I am really glad to see some members meet in the upper Midwest, we need to organize!!
Thanks for hosting the meeting, sorry I cannot attend but keep us posted of any other events
endodoc (Minnesota) :-D
ed

Meeting up with some other growers sounds great, although this is five hours for me and given my graduate student gas budget and car situation I think I'll have to pass on it. I am in Bloomington IN, but certainly if people decide on any future events regionally I am interested.

Good luck with the get together, hope all goes well.

Just giving a quick update here. Sometime around the 1st here, I'll be posting more specific directions / parking information / etc.

So far we have a nice turnout forming. Somewhere between 6 - 10 people plan on coming out. Don't forget if you want to bring anything to trade, start think'n about what you'd like to bring! Even for show and tell!

Some of the things I'll have on hand for trades:
- Replacement RO filters
- (Maybe) Agristarts VFT's
- Various Seeds
- Tissue cultures
- Odds and ends equipment
- Furniture / storage shelving
- Fish tanks

Below are some ideas of what I plan on sharing / discussing / learning more about from other growers that stop in to visit. Of course anything anyone would like to contribute and talk about is more than welcome, this will be a very informal day.

Tentative topics for discussion:
- Pictures and Video from Meadowview
- Lessons learned from Meadowview
- Outdoor growing environments for our local area
- Nepenthes setups
- BBQ!
- Group orders
- Society formation / Website
- Regular meetings

More info to come soon!

I'm probably going to be there. Time and date works for me. And if I come I should have plenty of Stylidium to trade.

Hey guys !! The time is drawing near so stay on top of things. I finally put a significant list together of the plants I will be bringing for sale or trade. I am really cutting down on my list, keeping only a few items that I'm particularly fond of. Send me a PM if you'd like to get it, some Sarr. young ones, utrics, drosera. Lots of seed. 1st pick goes to people attending this meeting !! (Beggars will be ignored be forewarned.) We should put together some kind drawing or contest. One more thought I had was that for all the hassle we are putting Mrflytrap2 through it would be a good idea to donate a plant to his collection if you can for attending. (No weeds !) Later all :-D

hehe Droseraguy! Thank you for the kind offer, I've never been one to shy away from freebies. 8) But again totally optional, lol.

I'm really looking forward to some sundew troubleshooting advice from you! My setup has always resulted in so so results with them.

Also for anyone who might be interested, my old grow shelf is looking for a new home. But I have to know in advance since it had to be cut in half, and is at two different locations right now. It needs minor repair to get it back together, but would defiantly require a truck to take it home. It is 6'ish tall (currently cut in half), maybe 5' wide. It could hold two 10 gallon fish tanks that can roll out for cleaning, filling etc. The top shelf also has tracks for 3 glass windows. Sorry for the dark pic.
PlantShelfv3_1.JPG

And I have a few last min surprises that I'll be posting around Aug 1st. 8)

Well, I've been trying to put some tradeable stuff together for the meeting, and have come up with a few dews- D. 'Ivan's Paddle' and some various binata varieties. I also started a bunch of sensitive plant seeds a week and a half ago so they are all about 2 inches high. i'll just plan on bringing everything rather than making people respond who are interested.
The main thing I'm wondering is if anyone needs media such as sphagnum peat moss, sand, etc.
i work at a garden center, and am good friends with the owner, so i have received permission to buy the ripped bags-mostly the 1 cubic foot bags- of Premier sphagnum peat on a 75% discount price. These will not be sold to customers due to our "high standards." I would tape all the bags together and make them look in perfect condition b4 bringing them, though.
i'll plan on bringing 3 bags, but it would be nice to know ahead of time what the interest level on the bags would be due to limited space in the car.
there are about 11 or 12 broken bags, so i plan to buy them all from him before he dumps them all into the "pile".

You can pm me if you're interested.
It'll be great to see everyone.
Later,
Aaron

It's almost BBQ time!!

If there is any more details that anyone needs, directions, my telephone number in case you get lost, etc, feel free to let me know!

Looking forward to everyone's visit. For those that are coming out, look for signs directing you to parking once you arrive. Even if you can't figure out where to park, once you find me / us I can easily direct you to the public lot across the street.

See you soon!
Nathan

Giving credit to flytraplady5 anyone that wants to bring a sample of their water along I will test. The TDS meter is getting packed up in a minute. See you all tomorrow !!

Gathering in the Mid-West

Hi All,

I just wanted to say that my wife & I had a terrific time! EVERYONE was great! It was nice meeting you all and sharing information, advice, stories and plants. My thanks again to Nathan for putting this all together, and treating us all to a really great time.

I will try to post again, share some pics or contact some of you as soon as I can, but for now I just want to say that I would definately like to do this again. I will perhaps talk to Nathan about comming up this way next time and taking everyone for a trek to Volo Bog and perhaps some other places of interest.

It was really great of those of you who came all the way from out of state. I hope it was worth the ride. Personally I thought Nathan's setup was very ingenius and creative, which that alone made the trip worthwhile. Again, it was really great to meet you all and for me the time together seemed to pass very quickly.

If I can get Kathy to agree, we could perhaps host part of it next time if people are interested. I do know Kathy had a really nice time talking to everyone, and was very impressed at how nice and generous everyone was. Even she had a great time and you all made her feel welcome and part of the group.

My thanks to Nathan and to all of you for making this a really nice time. :beer:

Paul
GrowinOld

Thank you Paul for the kind words!

I had a blast, and it was a great opportunity to meet everyone in person. It's was also great to match faces to names! You don't get that opportunity everyday, so I really enjoyed effort everyone made for the visit. It was truly appreciated.

And thank you again for all the plant donations, I made out like a bandit! hehe

Just as a follow up, I'm planning on hosting 2 BBQ's a year. One at the start of the season, and one at the end of the season. Perhaps in between, there may be other events or trips that can be planned out should others like to put something together. Things such as trips to bogs, tissue culture days, etc. I'll make sure to convey all info about my plans via the forums, and emails of people I already have been in contact with.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back