What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Geographics and CP's?

A while back I think I remember someone pulled together a list of the National Geographic Magazines that had CP related articles and photo's. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I tried to search the archive, but didn't come up with a list. I did find some referenced in posts:
  • *It was in 1961, after reading the article in the May edition of the National Geographic written by Paul A. Zahl. *
  • In 1963 there was a National Geographic article that showed Dr. Paul Zahl building a terrarium with all sorts of CP.
  • Vol. 175, No. 5 (May 1989) has an excellent article on the tepuis, 'Venezuela's Islands in Time'. It has some awe-inspiring landscape photography and some good CP photos too; Heliamphora tatei, Drosera roraimae and Brocchinea reducta.
Does anyone know of any others?

Curiously, Mike

May 1989 pages 526-561 "Venezuela's Islands in Time" Uwe George - Tepuis - brief mention of Drosera and Heliamphora

May 1964 pages 680-701 "Malaysia's Giant Flowers and Insect-trapping Plants" Paul Zahl - there's a photo of him drinking from a Nepenthes pitcher in this article.

My version of the Complete National Geographic only goes up to Dec 1998 so anything after that you'd have to search elsewhere.

Not sure which issue it is, I no longer have it. It had an article about the Camponotus (spelling?) ants and the relationship with Nepenthes bicalcarata.

Camponotus schmitzi is the Camponotus speices

This might help some. From a quick glance, there's a bit of chaff to wade through, but this should give you a fair bit of info: National Geographic
:bigthumpup:

Thanks Everybody! Some good ideas to follow-up on. I'll share what I find.

Sorry for not responding sooner--crazy busy week that didn't leave time to log-on. Between work, and Spring actually starting...

Happy Trails, Mike

Add:

May, 1954 pages 645-672 "In the Wilds of a City Parlor" Paul Zahl - terrariums and aquariums. Venus Flytraps featured. Lots of reptiles.

NGS Publications Index

Back