What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil mix questions....(different plants)

Currently I have my Lowes rescues:

1x D. Adalea
1x P. Primuflora
1x N. Ventricosa

And then I have the following media on hand to use:

Moss; perlite; sand; and bark.

For pots, I've 2 plastic 4" when the slits on the sides to sit in the water, a 4" clay pot w/ regular drainage holes, and a 6" plastic w/ regular drainage holes.

What's the reccomended combinations for each plant?

when you say moss you mean peat moss?
adelae i would use a 2:1 mix of sand(or perlite) and peat.
primuliflora i would suggest 1:1 sand(or perlite) and peat
for ventricosa....use a mix of perlite, bark and peat. in that order make it a 1:1:1 mix. open but holds water :)

Alex

2 parts sand to 1 part peat for the adelae?

so basically the sand a perlite are (to some degree) interchangable?

I've never been able to grow it well in anything except LFS or LFS and perlite.

Sand and perlite aren't interchangeable in all instances. You wouldn't want to substitute perlite with sand in Nepenthes mix, for example.

You'll find that the mpore people who respond, the more and slightly differing opinions you will get. Having said that, Neps do best with something that drains well, like perite with a mixture of a bunch of things, including LFS, orchid bark, pine needles, and / or sand and / or peat and / or......

BTW, LFS is a good general medium and a mixture of sand & peat with LFS does mimic what a lot of CP's live it. Some may want more sand and may want more LFS. It depends upon what wants to be waterlogged and what wants great drainage.

Back